Parts?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

FHBrumb

Bearcat
I just ordered an SR1911. The only thing I'm not thrilled about is the black on stainless parts. I'd prefer all stainless. Anyone know of replacements that will drop in without any serious work?

bsnake

Single-Sixer
All black parts have been replaced on my SR1911.
Get yourself a Brownells 1911 catalog.
Buy quality parts such as Ed Brown - Evolution Gun Works (EGW) - Gunsite.
Some parts will "drop in", but most require some tweaking. If you're not familiar with fitting parts like slide stops & thumb safety's, get a gunsmith to do it.

bsnake

Single-Sixer
rugerguy said:
scratch a bit of finish off the back side, and see if any cold blue darkens the bare metal, that will let you know if its carbon or stainless steel......quick and very easy test
Just did that to both the thumb safety & slide stop. Cold blue DID darken them up. So, carbon steel.
Also, all the black parts must be MIM as they have marks from ejector pins.

FHBrumb

Bearcat
bsnake said:
All black parts have been replaced on my SR1911.
Get yourself a Brownells 1911 catalog.
Buy quality parts such as Ed Brown - Evolution Gun Works (EGW) - Gunsite.
Some parts will "drop in", but most require some tweaking. If you're not familiar with fitting parts like slide stops & thumb safety's, get a gunsmith to do it.

Do I need drop in parts? Or just regular ones? Specifically the beaver tail.

bsnake

Single-Sixer
FHBrumb said:
Do I need drop in parts? Or just regular ones? Specifically the beaver tail.

I installed the Ed Brown Memory Groove Beavertail Grip Safety. It did require some frame alteration.
Wilson Combat makes one that they say is "drop in". My experience is most "drop in" parts still need tweaking.
I recommend making a new friend who is a 1911 gunsmith.

kev350

Bearcat
I'm swapping out for Ed Brown and EGW parts. The Brown parts match the finish fairly close so it will do until a refinish gets done.Some minor fitting was required on the thumb safety nothing a few file stokes couldn't fix.

ErikO

Bearcat
Only advice I have is some wisdom passed to me by a very smart fellow. Only lap/stone/fit the less expensive and non-serial numbered parts.

I haven't had a chance to check the internals on the factory sample SR1911 I got to try, how much MIM is in there?

FHBrumb

Bearcat
ErikO said:
Only advice I have is some wisdom passed to me by a very smart fellow. Only lap/stone/fit the less expensive and non-serial numbered parts.

I haven't had a chance to check the internals on the factory sample SR1911 I got to try, how much MIM is in there?

Wickedgt

Bearcat
Pretty much ALL the frame parts are MIM to include the hammer, ejector, and sights. As far as I'm aware of, the only stainless steel bar stock parts are the slide, barrel, and barrel bushing. The barrel and barrel bushing are out of the same stainless bar stock and are married for assembly. The frame is cast injection as well. Ruger has been on the fore front of cast and MIM injection for decades and have improved the process tremendously. The latest information I have from a number of different sources is the metal content for their cast and MIM parts is 96~98% solid metal! That's only 2~4% porous! Other than aesthetics to change the looks to all stainless appearance, there really is no reason to change any parts.

revhigh

Hawkeye
FHBrumb said:
I just ordered an SR1911. The only thing I'm not thrilled about is the black on stainless parts. I'd prefer all stainless.

Another point of view ....

By the time that you replace all the black parts with quality stainless parts ... you're gonna have so much money in the gun that you could have bought a far better gun for the money you'll have invested.

You're just throwing money into a perfectly acceptable base gun for no real reason (other than cosmetics) :D

I'd seriously consider adding up all the costs for your 'all silver' SR1911 on paper, and then ask yourself if you'd still buy the SR1911 if you had THAT budget to work with.

If the answer is yes ... go for it.

I really never understood why people buy guns that aren't the gun that they really want. It's always FAR more expensive to do what you're planning, and in most cases it de-values the original gun as well, because it's no longer stock. To say nothing of the fact that if anything goes wrong ... you now have an unreliable weapon that you'll have to pay a gunsmith to make right ... or at a minimum .... throw away all those unnecessary parts that were bought for no reason.

REV

FHBrumb

Bearcat
revhigh said:
FHBrumb said:
I just ordered an SR1911. The only thing I'm not thrilled about is the black on stainless parts. I'd prefer all stainless.

Another point of view ....

By the time that you replace all the black parts with quality stainless parts ... you're gonna have so much money in the gun that you could have bought a far better gun for the money you'll have invested.

You're just throwing money into a perfectly acceptable base gun for no real reason (other than cosmetics) :D

I'd seriously consider adding up all the costs for your 'all silver' SR1911 on paper, and then ask yourself if you'd still buy the SR1911 if you had THAT budget to work with.

If the answer is yes ... go for it.

I really never understood why people buy guns that aren't the gun that they really want. It's always FAR more expensive to do what you're planning, and in most cases it de-values the original gun as well, because it's no longer stock. To say nothing of the fact that if anything goes wrong ... you now have an unreliable weapon that you'll have to pay a gunsmith to make right ... or at a minimum .... throw away all those unnecessary parts that were bought for no reason.

REV

Thank you for your contribution?

FHBrumb

Bearcat
Some folks like to futz and tinker to end up with something completely different from what is commercially available...

bsnake

Single-Sixer
Another point of view........

I've been riding Harleys for many, many years. I've been known to buy a brand new one and start modifying it within the first week.
Why? Because I can.

Now my carry guns remain primarily stock, but my competition guns get modified, because I can. Like FHBrumb says, I like to tinker.
I will admit though, I keep all my Colts stock.

Wickedgt

Bearcat
FHBrumb, just got back from the Ruger factory in Prescott AZ. I spoke with a lead tech (Sam) about the SR1911 he also claimed to be on the design team. I quizzed him quite a while about many things regarding the SR1911. One of the main objectives with Ruger coming out with an entry level 1911 was that they didn't want to be "just another 1911 manufacturer". Their focus was on accuracy and reliability out of the box. They wanted the entry level SR1911 to shoot groups of 1.5" at 25yds from a bench rest with no modifications. The SR1911 accomplishes this feat quite well. They also torture tested this weapon to ensure reliability. Only time will tell if this feat has been accomplished.

It really depends on what you intend to do with your weapon. If you are going to compete, maybe another 1911 should be on your list. If it is for self defense/range gun, grab the SR1911 NOW, for I'm sure the weapon will be far more accurate then you may give it credit. If it is too look pretty, take the advise of the previous poster and do the math on the SS parts. You may be ahead to purchase the something like the SIG-45-SSS. I've seen it as low as $834. It's ALL stainless, Novak low profile night sites, match grade barrel, hammer, sear set and trigger, however it's a series 80 with the firing pin safety (which I'm not fond of) to comply with California. SIG also does a funky cut on the slide (which I'm also not fond of) and can affect your 1911 holster selection.

Here is the link:

http://www.sigsauer.com/CatalogProductDetails/1911-stainless.aspx

Here is a link for the price:

http://grabagun.com/sig-1911-45acp-5-8rd-sts-fns-blk-wd.html

It just comes down to what you really want/need/can afford.

Just my 2 cents FWIW.

revhigh

Hawkeye
As soon as I got ANYWHERE near the price of a Colt Gold Cup (which is about $1000) .... that's what I'd be getting. So .... depending on the price you're getting the SR1911 for .... and the price of all the added parts .... if I was anywhere near a Gold Cup (like $900) ... I'd be getting a factory tuned and accurized ... proven 1911 with the best name in the 1911 business that's guaranteed to work, and isn't a hodgepodge of unmatched parts forced into a base 1911 at the kitchen table.

REV