p95 or couger?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

boomer92266

Single-Sixer
i have a chance to a new 9mm at my local shop, he has 2 in my price range. its new ruger p95 for $349 or a new stoeger couger for $359, which would be a better deal? this will be my first auto in a while i do mostly revolvers so i ain't kept up with prices on them. thanks

Otis

Bearcat
The prices are good on both. Will he let you shoot before you buy one? Both are reliable weapons, I have a Cougar 8045 and and its been 100% from day one. For the price I would probably pick up both.

boomer92266

Single-Sixer
Otis said:
The prices are good on both. Will he let you shoot before you buy one? Both are reliable weapons, I have a Cougar 8045 and and its been 100% from day one. For the price I would probably pick up both.

i wish i could afford both but i have $400 for a new gun and i thought i might try auto's again since i've had some trouble with revolvers lately. he won't let me shoot them as they are new in box, if he has a used gun he will but not a new one.

FergusonTO35

Hunter
My only concern about the Cougar would be the availability of mags and spare parts. If Stoeger stops importing it and/or its maker goes out of business that could be very problematic. Is the P95 blue or stainless? Around here the blue is $309.99 and the stainless is $329.99.

boomer92266

Single-Sixer
FergusonTO35 said:
My only concern about the Cougar would be the availability of mags and spare parts. If Stoeger stops importing it and/or its maker goes out of business that could be very problematic. Is the P95 blue or stainless? Around here the blue is $309.99 and the stainless is $329.99.

i just noticed your in kentucky, me too i'm in southern kentucky. my local shop has really went up on prices as of late. he wanted $389 for a poly 605 taurus, $409 for blue 605, and $439 for stainless 605. but wanted $429 for a lcr, i don't bad mouth taurus as i've owned several that were good guns but when i can get a ruger for same or less i won't buy taurus. the stoeger he has had for awhile, the p95 he just got in. and the p95 was stainless.

Stoeger, OWNED BY Beretta, manufactures the gun thats used to be known as the Beretta 8000 series, AKA the Beretta Cougar.

This gun used a rotating barrel that cammed into place, virtually eliminating any felt recoil. The NEW gun manufactured by Beretta that uses this is the Beretta PX4.

If it were between the two, I'd buy the Cougar. Beretta parts/mags/grips will work in it. Its one of the better deals you can find out there at that price.

cluznar

Bearcat
I own a Stoeger Cougar compact 9mm (same as full size, shorter grip and holds 13 rounds) It is one great shooting gun, I luv it! Low recoil, easy to shoot, accurate.

On the other hand the P95 is also an excellent gun which shoots well with good accuracy. Stoeger is all metal while P95 is steel/Polymer.

I honestly have thought of buying a P95 also. Great range gun, house gun, and I would even carry it.

Either gun will make you happy, but the Stoeger is more of a gun.

Ashlander

Single-Sixer
Though the cougar is all metal -- the frame is aluminum. As between aluminum and the polymer used in the P95 -- I'd go with the Ruger polymer. Unlike later designs (where the polymer can be somewhat thin in places -- the polymer on the P95 was super over engineered -- it was their first foray into polymer frames and they wanted to build confidence. They did -- at least with me!

cjs1945

Single-Sixer
I know nothing about the Cougar, but the P95 is a great pistol. I would choose an SR9 or 9c for cc but for any other use the P95 is ideal, they are accurate and 100% reliable. I have had a P95 for 6 years and have never had a malfunction of any kind with any type of ammo, they are built to last a lifetime.

toyhunt

Single-Sixer
P95, blue,15 rd. mag on sale at CAL Ranch $299+tx. Stainless not on sale $339. My son is getting my old Decock one, & I put a new blue one on hold.

luvallmyrugerz

Bearcat
I have cougars in 9mm and 40 . Recoil( partly because of the 33 oz weight) is negligible on the 9 and the 40 shoots like most nines. Both are very accurate for me. Love my SS p95 but I wouldn't hesitate to recomend the Cougar.The Ruger and the Cougar are just different shooting experiences!