P95 Jammed

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jeremy746

Bearcat
Went to the range the other day with my new P95 for the first time. Had a few issues with the cartridge not ejecting and cycling properly. Guy at the range said it may 500 rounds before it fires smoothly. Also was told by someone else it may have been the ammo. Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

Ashlander

Single-Sixer
New Rugers are tight. Maybe 500 round is a bit much, but certainly you should give it a good cleaning and lubbing every 100 or so rounds through that first 500.

Also, since the gun is new and tight -- it's important to over-emphasize shooting with a good firm grip with pressure in the forearms to make sure that gun has a stable foundation for the slide to work -- it we act like a shock absorber, then a tight slide will be all the more likely to not fully cycle. Once the gun breaks in we can relax a bit.

carbonyl

Single-Sixer
jeremy746 said:
Went to the range the other day with my new P95 for the first time. Had a few issues with the cartridge not ejecting and cycling properly. Guy at the range said it may 500 rounds before it fires smoothly. Also was told by someone else it may have been the ammo. Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.
Just out of curiosity what brand of ammo was it?

The only functional issues I've encountered with the P95's are 100% related to limp wristing. Mine will function with loads so light the brass falls at my feet but will stovepipe constantly if not properly held.

I personally have never been able to limp wrist my p95, my sister in law could though..... I have limp wristed other semi-autos. So, holding it tight and even have someone else shoot it is important in determining if there is a problem... the real problem is it is very hard as well as expensive these days to go through 500 rounds to loosen up a pistol, if you can even get the ammo.

jeremy746

Bearcat
Thanks for all the advice. Hopefully in the next few weeks I can head to the range again and give an update.

revhigh

Hawkeye
95's are rock solid.

Your gun is fine .... It's ammo related.

Today's cheap ammo is garbage .... for accuracy, consistency, OR reliability.

REV

jeremy746

Bearcat
Still had problems last week at the range. So I left it with the gunsmith. Turns on the firing pin is broken so now I get to mail it back to Ruger and hope they fix it.

GKC

Blackhawk
jeremy746 said:
Still had problems last week at the range. So I left it with the gunsmith. Turns on the firing pin is broken so now I get to mail it back to Ruger and hope they fix it.

I just bought a new P95, but haven't fired it yet. I had one a few years back, and never had any problems with it.

I'm certainly not a gunsmith, but it's confusing to me how a broken firing pin could cause ejection problems. I can understand how a broken firing pin could cause light strikes or failures to fire, which of course would mean the pistol wouldn't cycle...but anyway, if there is a problem (other than limp wristing or bad ammo) then Ruger will fix it.

It is for sure hard to get ammo these days...at least 9mm. I went to a few gun shops yesterday, and there was no 9mm to be found. .45 and .40, but no 9mm. I've only got a few hundred rounds left, and I'm not going to burn them up until I can get some more. I'm going to fire a few mags full to at least check function at a minimum, but not 500 rounds for sure!

beetlejuice9mm

Bearcat
Bought my P95 about a 1 1/2 year ago. Well over 1000 rounds with only one FTF and that was Tula ammo. I did clean mine before going to the range and worked great. I run Fed ammo 99% of the time. GKC, Ammo Depot in Caddo Mills had plenty of 9mm Fed ammo at 15 bucks a box. Located between Rockwall/Greenville off I30. They also have a pistol range. $10 bucks all day.

GKC said:
It is for sure hard to get ammo these days...at least 9mm. I went to a few gun shops yesterday, and there was no 9mm to be found. .45 and .40, but no 9mm. I've only got a few hundred rounds left, and I'm not going to burn them up until I can get some more. I'm going to fire a few mags full to at least check function at a minimum, but not 500 rounds for sure!
Try here. http://www.9mmammo.com/ammo-by-caliber/handgun/9mm-luger.html
It ain't cheap but it IS available.

GKC

Blackhawk
Thanks for the ammo suggestions!

Back to the OP: let us know what you find out about your pistol.

TXRuger

Bearcat
I agree with other posters, you need to give it a good clean and try different ammo. My SR9/9c and P95 never gave me any problems since the time I bought them.