P95 and +P ammo

Help Support Ruger Forum:

dr_hefley

Bearcat
I don't have my manual handy; it's buried in the gun cabinet somewhere. My question is, will my P95 handle the +P ammo. I bought some hollowpoints today before I realized they were +P. I'm certain I can run them through my glock, but I'd like to carry them in my Ruger as well.

I tried the search function, but it returned a memory error. Go figure.

Thanks in advance.
doc

RedFalconBill

Bearcat
From the P-95 Instruction Manual:

"The Ruger P-Series pistols are compatible with all factory ammunition loaded to U.S. Industry Standards, including high-velocity and hollow-point loads, loaded in brass, aluminum, or steel cartridge cases. No 9mm x 19 ammunition manufactured in accordance with NATO, U.S., SAAMI, or CIP standards is known to be beyond the design limits or known not to function in these pistols."

dacaur

Single-Sixer
yep the P95 is a TANK... it will eat anything you can feed it and ask for more... +p+ is nothing to this gun...

resident

Single-Sixer
I think it's interesting when an owner is too lazy to get off the sofa and go pickup the manual and read the straight-poop from the factory...but will happily accept the anecdotal commentary from strangers using psuedonyms about a matter that could cause personal injury if the info were wrong. :roll:
(this constructive-criticism is DIRECTLY applicable to myself as well.) :lol: :lol: :lol:

dr_hefley

Bearcat
I'm fully capable of getting off the sofa. Looking at the quote from the owners manual it doesn't specifically suggest that +P ammo is OK. It simply says that all 9x19 ammo manufactured is safe. 9x19 and 9x19+P aren't exactly the same thing. Just looking for some real world input from people I consider knowledgeable in the subject.

BuckJM53

Single-Sixer
The Ruger website FAQ page is more specific on the issue :wink:

Q. What type of ammunition should I use in my Ruger 9mm pistol?

A. The Ruger 9mm pistols are chambered for the 9x19mm NATO Parabellum (9mm Luger) cartridge, compatible with the U.S. and foreign military or commercial 9x19mm loads manufactured in accordance with NATO, U.S., SAAMI, or CIP standards, including high-velocity, subsonic, tracer, hollow point, ammunition loaded in aluminum, steel, or brass cartridge cases, +P and +P+ ammunition.

RedFalconBill

Bearcat
BuckJM53 said:

A. The Ruger 9mm pistols are chambered for the 9x19mm NATO Parabellum (9mm Luger) cartridge, compatible with the U.S. and foreign military or commercial 9x19mm loads manufactured in accordance with NATO, U.S., SAAMI, or CIP standards, including high-velocity, subsonic, tracer, hollow point, ammunition loaded in aluminum, steel, or brass cartridge cases, +P and +P+ ammunition.

Very Nice!!

Link for those who need it:

http://ruger.com/service/FAQs.html

dr_hefley

Bearcat
BuckJM53 said:

Thanks. This is exactly what I wanted. I should've checked the factory website.

K_Mac

Bearcat
blume357 said:
this is what the internet is all about, not only do you get the answer quickly and numerous times but you get entertained at the same time. :)

The interwebz is much like Forrest Gump's box of chocolates; you never know what you're going to get. :lol:

edfardos

Single-Sixer
I handload ammo, and it seems my "hotter" loads send the slide back to where it hits the frame rather hard and is rounding off the edge of the aluminum in front of the magazine well. I guess that's normal, but I certainly noticed the wear *after* I started making full-power ammo. I'd really like to make ammo where the slide didn't slam against the frame as it comes all the way back. I imagine the recoil and target reacquisition issues would be different.

--edfardos

dacaur

Single-Sixer
edfardos said:
I handload ammo, and it seems my "hotter" loads send the slide back to where it hits the frame rather hard and is rounding off the edge of the aluminum in front of the magazine well. I guess that's normal, but I certainly noticed the wear *after* I started making full-power ammo. I'd really like to make ammo where the slide didn't slam against the frame as it comes all the way back. I imagine the recoil and target reacquisition issues would be different.

--edfardos

Ummm... there are no aluminum parts in a p95... The entire impact of the slide falls on the steel takedown/slide stop pin, which goes through the thickest part of the polymer frame.... If whatever gun you are using cant handle full power loads, you shouldn't be using them in the gun. A p95 can handle whatever you feed it, handload or factory, so long as its not stupidly overcharged, if a load does slight damage to a p95, its loaded FAAAAR to hot, and would have annihilated most guns....

jslshooter

Bearcat
edfardos said:

--edfardos
Get some stronger recoil springs. Handloads will do that especially if they're "hot" so I would take steps to protect the gun such as heavier recoil springs.

Al James

Hunter
jslshooter said:
edfardos said:

--edfardos
Get some stronger recoil springs. Handloads will do that especially if they're "hot" so I would take steps to protect the gun such as heavier recoil springs.

+1 on this idea. Check Midway for the extra power wolf recoil springs.