P89 vs. CZ 75 in .40

Help Support Ruger Forum:

WRM

Bearcat
I was wondering about which pistol would you think was most reliable for home defense.

I have a P89 that I use for HD but I bought a CZ75C in 9mm and really like the ergonomics of that gun better than the Ruger. I was thinking about trading my P89 for a CZ75B in .40 SW for home defense. What do you think?

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
I have never been a big fan of the .40, it just doesn't turn me on at all. I like 9mm's and .45 ACP's just fine but the "forty" is an over stuffed short version of the 10mm. it is hard to reload at full (max) loads and it isn't as accurate as the 9mm and the 45. I know many will disagree but I have shot that round enough to have seen this. The CZ 75 is a great gun and if you can trade for one even up for a P89, I would make that trade.

...but I would go 9mm.

aWoods

Single-Sixer
I don't understand why people say .40 is not accurate. I mean, it's hard to shoot compared to 9mm and 45, but the mechanical accuracy of 40 seems way better than most shooters can achieve.

Also, I'm throwing in my hat with .40 is not anywhere near as awesome as 9 or 45.

revhigh

Hawkeye
aWoods said:
I don't understand why people say .40 is not accurate.

Because they're NOT. The most worthless caliber I've ever owned ... and I owned 3. If you want a .40 ... get a REAL .40 .... the 10MM. I'd just get a full size 75 in 9MM.

REV

revhigh

Hawkeye
revhigh said:
Knecht said:
I would choose a P89 over CZ75...wait - I did! :)

Have you ever actually handled and shot a CZ75 ?

If you have ... I mean really have .... that's surprising. But it's YOUR gun after all, so shoot what you like !

REV

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
I believe Knecht is a contrarian. Just like two completly seperate german friends of mine that had to get a 'vette and paid 1/3 more for a car not as good as one made in their own country.

Knecht

Single-Sixer
revhigh said:
revhigh said:
Knecht said:
I would choose a P89 over CZ75...wait - I did! :)

Have you ever actually handled and shot a CZ75 ?

If you have ... I mean really have .... that's surprising. But it's YOUR gun after all, so shoot what you like !

REV

I did. Not bad. Not special. Overpriced for a local product. Legendary terrible customer service.

revhigh

Hawkeye
Knecht said:
Overpriced for a local product. Legendary terrible customer service.

Hmmm .... they're priced very reasonably in the states ... I have multiple CZ's, never needed ANY kind of service after thousands of rounds. My friend needed a slide stop for his CZ40B and he had it in 2 days. I've heard about disastrous service from Tanfoglio ... but never CZ.

Hey ..... Shoot what you like !! :D

There's no comparison between the guns as far as I'm concerned ... ESPECIALLY in accuracy and ergonomics.

REV

revhigh said:
aWoods said:
I don't understand why people say .40 is not accurate.

Because they're NOT. The most worthless caliber I've ever owned ... and I owned 3. If you want a .40 ... get a REAL .40 .... the 10MM. I'd just get a full size 75 in 9MM.

REV

Got my eyes on a 10mm. right now, in fact.

I dont hate the .40, i just don't currently own one.

gatorglenn

Bearcat
I like the CZ P-01 better than both of those choices. CZ also makes the P-06 which is the P-01 in .40 but I have no experience with it. Those are both compact sized guns and maybe you want to stay with a full sized one and in that case I would say go for the CZ 75 in 9MM or .40 caliber.

Glenn

WRM

Bearcat
gatorglenn said:
I like the CZ P-01 better than both of those choices. CZ also makes the P-06 which is the P-01 in .40 but I have no experience with it. Those are both compact sized guns and maybe you want to stay with a full sized one and in that case I would say go for the CZ 75 in 9MM or .40 caliber.

Glenn

I have a compact 75 in 9mm. I was looking to possibly trade the P89 for a full size in either 9mm or .40. One thing that I like about the 75 is the ability to have it cocked and locked, something that is not possible with the P89, P-01, or P-06.