P85 guide rod material - aluminum versus stainless steel

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Elric

Bearcat
During some idle surfing, I found the Stainless Steel Guide Rods, EFK FireDragon spring/rod, and Sprinco Recoil Management Guide Rod System for use with the P85.

As the P85MkII slide is stainless steel (weighs a bit), and I don't need +P+ NATO CorBon NukaTron loads, what life can I expect on an original aluminum guide rod with stock spring?

I saw ONE comment where a user compared a SS guide rod in a P85 to "a hammer". I am not able to do finite analysis on the various parts in a P85 during firing, so is this beating possible?

Rob72

Bearcat
Elric said:
During some idle surfing, I found the Stainless Steel Guide Rods, EFK FireDragon spring/rod, and Sprinco Recoil Management Guide Rod System for use with the P85.

As the P85MkII slide is stainless steel (weighs a bit), and I don't need +P+ NATO CorBon NukaTron loads, what life can I expect on an original aluminum guide rod with stock spring?

I saw ONE comment where a user compared a SS guide rod in a P85 to "a hammer". I am not able to do finite analysis on the various parts in a P85 during firing, so is this beating possible?
Unless you're shooting something unusual (Hirtenberger subgun ammo, for instance) the EFK and Sprinco are over priced and unnecessary. If your shooting is REALLY good and fast, one of them might gain you a touch in recovery, but for most folks, its placebo. I prefer stainless to poly or aluminum rods, simply for the stronger rear lug and a touch more weight. Necessary? Probably not, unless you see major peening on the rear lug on your aluminum rod. You won't see that, if you change your spring every 3-5K or so rounds.

Edit: Please note- I had no attraction to the P series when they came out. I've shot lots and lots through Glock, S&W, Taurus and HK.

modrifle3

Buckeye
Elric said:

You will never shoot enough ammo to wear a metal guide rod out. Aluminum or otherwise. The P85/89 does not need any additional recoil devices.

modrifle3

Buckeye
Another note. The slide stops on the frame of a p series not the guide rod. It is only there to control the spring, nothing to peen or break.

jstanfield103

Blackhawk
Sounds like the 1911 debate. Long or short guide rod. Either works. I am going to keep mine the standard factory guide rod. As said just controls the spring.