Opening Day Michigan Whitetail!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Zach Monroe

Bearcat
Today was opening day of the firearm deer season here in Michigan and for those that don't know November 15th is pretty much a holiday for much of the state. In rural areas like where I live schools are usually closed for the day and certain businesses are even closed. This is due to the large numbers of people that would be gone anyway. So I found myself getting up at 6 and heading to my Grandpa's for a quick breakfast and then heading out to the stands. Around here you either hunt in a stand or in a blind or just sit on the ground, since this is farm country with small woodlots scattered about. The ground is flat and the woods aren't very big so that's the best way. (we will change tactics drastically when we head to the UP next weekend) Anyway now to the good stuff.

I have hunted only with handguns for the last 3 years taking a deer each of those years and feeling very accomplished because of that. However this year due to many factors I haven't been shooting as much as I would like so I made the decision last night to carry a rifle along with my 44 special. I know I can still shoot fine within 30 yards with the short barrel special so if something showed up close I would pull the sixgun and if a shooter was out farther I would us the rifle. I could've taken my Ruger .280 which I know won't let me down out to a couple hundred yards or farther, but where I was planning on hunting I can't see more than a hundred yards so my grandpa and I agreed that I should carry my great grandpa's Marlin in 35 remington. My great grandpa has been gone for a few years now and he didn't hunt for more than 15 years before that so the gun hasn't seen much use in a while. Its got a classic Lyman 4x scope with the old post style reticle and was made in 1953, just a real nice old rifle that has killed bucks and bears over the years but hasn't done any killing in quite a while.

So I started out this morning with several does coming through and then a 6 point and a really nice 8 point that was tall and wide. We usually pass on the small stuff and go for the nicer ones so I was not worried about the small one but focused on the big one. But it wasn't meant to be and the six point passed through in the open and the big one passed through in the brush never giving me a shot with the sixgun or rifle. So I sat there a little disappointed that I hadn't got a crack at the nice one and a couple more does and 2 more small bucks came through spread out a little bit. It was getting to be a little after 11 and I was starting to think about lunch when I heard quite a ruckus behind me coming up the trail. It was a buck and a doe running full out (they ran right by my grandpa and wouldn't slow down for a shot) and I knew I had to get him to stop or I had no chance. So when he came into to the more open woods I let out an extra loud bleat and he came to a screeching halt. I pulled the rifle up examined the antlers one last time and decided I better shoot. I saw he had what I would call a unique rack and wanted to get him for two reasons, one because I like weird racks and two because it will help the gene pool. So I put the post right on his shoulder and pulled the trigger. He was quartered slightly towards me and he about flipped over at the shot, then proceeded to run through a small brush pile (notice I said through!) and then crash into the brush out of sight. I knew he was hard hit so when grandpa showed up a few minutes later we followed him up. He didn't leave a lot of blood but I followed the trail through the leaves and we came up with him about 70 yards away. Grandpa was tickled that I shot a deer with that old rifle and he said great grandpa would be impressed.

This makes three years in a row that I have taken a buck on opening day, it must be luck of some sort. My grandpa says its that big orange hat since I have been wearing the for probably the last 5 deer I have taken. I guess it could be, maybe I better keep wearing it!

Finally here are the pictures

2012-11-15_13-06-04_291.jpg

I said he was unique!

2012-11-15_11-32-08_702.jpg

An old box of silvertips that my Great grandparents both thought were the best for hunting. If they didn't have enough to fill the gun they would at least have one in the chamber so that would be the first shot with regular bullets following them.

2012-11-15_15-00-23_234.jpg

I recovered the jacket tucked under the hide on the far side. Around 2 feet of penetration, the bullets are old technology compared to most available today but they managed to bring him down fine.

2012-11-15_15-04-05_505.jpg

Alabama, in the bend of the Tennessee River
Love them .35s. Mine, a 1968 Marlin with a Bushnell 1.5-4.5x, will probably get the nod from all the other possibles in the safe on opening day (Saturday) as well. It accounted for a good buck last year, he barely left the tracks he was standing in after the handloaded 200 grain Hornady hit him behind the shoulder. I shot it twice the other day to verify the scope setting - 2" high at 100 yards, the two bullet holes about 3/4" from each other. It's ready and so am I. I'll have a short .44 on my side as well hoping for a close opportunity with it. :)
IMAG0335.jpg

Congrats on a unique antlered buck. You're right, he probably needed to be culled from the gene pool.

Funny how those old school, low-tech Silvertips and Core-lokts still seem to kill deer! Maybe the DEER are old school and low-tech, too??? And how high-tech is a .35 Rem 336? Gun invented in '93 (1893, that is) and the .35 round WAS high-tech. In 1908. (I won't EVEN get started on the virtues of my .30-40 Hiwall....).

My own suspicion is that all the gearhead fixation on new electronic, supersonic stuff is mainly a substitute for actual hunting. You know, actually going in the woods on your own hind legs and looking for a deer with your own natural eyes and ears. Just my ancient, crabby opinion, of course.....

Jeff Hoover

Blackhawk
Classic hunt with a classic gun and caliber! One of my favorites! Great Grandpa is smiling today! Congratulations Zack! It is nice to see a young man enjoy handgunning and classic rifles and calibers. You are way ahead of the curve :)

Would love to see a picture of that great rifle :D

sebtool

Blackhawk
Nice going Zach! It's always special to take a deer with a gun like that, adds a little more to the experience. I got to hunt 1 year with my great Grandpa's old
32-40 Winchester, but didn't have any luck. Deer were pretty thin in Pa. back in those years. Super sweet rifle, wish I had it today. Thanks for posting!

woodchuckssuck

Bearcat
Good job!

I have an old Remington 141 gamemaster in .35 remington (pump rifle for those that don't know). It shoots 2" groups at 50 off a front rest with the iron sights...I don't hunt, but my great grandfather did and I imagine he took quite a few deer and other animals out west!

I love the .35 remington. Not a speed demon, but a slow moving heavy slug of lead and copper.

Latest posts