OM Single Six question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Howdy,

I've got an OM Single Six, serial # 367649, which, according to Ruger's web site, makes it a 1967 Magnum Model, if I'm reading it right. But my Single Six only has a 22LR cylinder. Was this particular gun sent from the factory with a 22Mag cylinder only? If so, I'm guessing the original owner sent it back to have a 22LR cylinder fitted, and then lost the 22Mag cylinder before selling it to me.

I should be okay shooting magnums out of this gun if I'm able to find a 22Mag cylinder that fits right, don't you think?

Thoughts and info appreciated...
Tom

flatgate

Hawkeye
Unfortunately, Ruger's Serial Number Data Chart is "out to Lunch" in the Old Model Single-Six section......

I would put your Single-Sixes production date in '63. I believe your Ruger's rollmarks state "Ruger .22 cal. Single-Six" with no mention of Magnum, eh?

You need to simply call the Factory's Records Dept. and inquire as to the shipping configuration and/or model number. Your .22 could have been shipped with only the .22 LR cylinder, making it a rather rare gun, IMHO!

Yes, many folks find suitable .22 WMR cylinders for their Single-Sixes via gunshows, Ruger Forum, second cousins, etc. :D

flatgate

chet15

Hawkeye
Yes, as flatgate said, if Ruger says your gun was shipped as model RSS5W, then you have a pretty scarce gun being of the "transition" variety.
Convertible "transitions" are more common, but they are still very desireable. These would be RSS5X or RSSMX, and even the rare RSS9X.
Chet15

I know this is an old thread but I was glad to read it. According to a letter I got from Ruger after I Mailed them a letter inquiring about my six shooter, Serial # 476XXX and asking if my model came with other Cylinders and how can I tell what Cylinder I have. They wrote back and said:

Our Records show that this revolver was shipped in July 1967, as model RSS5W. A copy of your letter has been forwarded to our Newport, NH, Service Department reguarding your questions on the cylinders.

The gun looks like brand new, has pretty much lived inside it's leather holster all it's like.

:D

Hondo44

Hawkeye
GeorgiaWineMaker said:
I know this is an old thread but I was glad to read it. According to a letter I got from Ruger after I Mailed them a letter inquiring about my six shooter, Serial # 476XXX and asking if my model came with other Cylinders and how can I tell what Cylinder I have. They wrote back and said:

Our Records show that this revolver was shipped in July 1967, as model RSS5W. A copy of your letter has been forwarded to our Newport, NH, Service Department reguarding your questions on the cylinders.

The gun looks like brand new, has pretty much lived inside it's leather holster all it's like. :D

That Model # tells you everything you wanted to know:
Single six
windage adj dovetail rear sight
5 1/2" barrel
single 22 LR cylinder only (because of the absence of an 'X')
W for walnut grip panels

Serial # tells you:
1967 as Ruger said
XR3 RED grip frame

RugerHound

Hunter
GeorgiaWineMaker said:

The gun looks like brand new, has pretty much lived inside it's leather holster all it's like.

Good for you! Nice to find scarce/rare stuff. Photos are a good thing ;) As Hondo44 states, you now know all there is to know about your six-shooter.

I've stumbled across a slew of RSS5X, RSSMX, and even a couple RSS9X's along the way... But haven't found an RSS5W yet.

flatgate

Hawkeye
Please don't keep the revolver in its' holster. Asking for trouble doing it that way. Keep it in a "gun sock" or some other device that draws the moisture away from the guns' wonderful 4140 series steel alloys.

JMHO,

flatgate

Thanks for the advice on not keeping it in the Holster. I did not know that. I guess I have been pretty lucky then as it still looks great.

I can take pictures, How would I post them? Sorry I'm new to the site.

My Father-In-Law Won the gun in a raffle around late 70's early 80's

I received a phone call from Ruger, and the leter Said my gun was SHIPPED in July of 1967, but the phone call they left in my voice mail said it was Manufactured in June 1967, so it was made in June and shipped in July.

David

RugerHound

Hunter
GeorgiaWineMaker said:
Thanks for the advice on not keeping it in the Holster. I did not know that. I guess I have been pretty lucky then as it still looks great.

I can take pictures, How would I post them? Sorry I'm new to the site.

My Father-In-Law Won the gun in a raffle around late 70's early 80's

I received a phone call from Ruger, and the leter Said my gun was SHIPPED in July of 1967, but the phone call they left in my voice mail said it was Manufactured in June 1967, so it was made in June and shipped in July.

David

Did they confirm the shipped model ?

In the Voice mail that they left me they only told me that is was manufactured in June of 1967 and left a phone number I could call if I had and other questions......but in the Letter they sent me it says: Our records show that this revolver was shipped in July 1967, as a model RSS5W. :D

flatgate

Hawkeye
Pic posting isn't too hard. Ruger Forum's "Gallery Section" contains a "how to" section.

Rule 1..... take a pic that's "in focus" :D

flatgate

wwb

Hunter
flatgate said:
.......Rule 1..... take a pic that's "in focus" :D

flatgate

Unless, of course, you're trying to sell a real "dog".... then, a fuzzy picture looks better. :wink:

Hahahahaha Ya'll are too funny.

It's not for sale and I think it's in good shape.

I'll read the how to in the Gallery. I recently signed up for photo bucket not knowing if I needed that or not.

David

So sorry it has taken me SO LONG to make these pics and post them. Just been really busy with other stuff called life LOL

Okay here's some pics of my RSS5W

PICT0033.jpg

PICT0034.jpg

PICT0035.jpg

PICT0037.jpg

PICT0038.jpg

PICT0039.jpg

PICT0041.jpg

PICT0042.jpg

Thanks! :D

I tried to take a picture of the firing pin mark on the hammer, it's there but just bearly, so it has been fired a few times, but not much by the looks of the mark on the hammer, but I didn't realize there was so much shadow, so maybe I will take another picture soon of the hammer but with LIGHT this time :)

Of course you can tell I need to clean it, you can see the powder residual on the edge of the barrel on the cylinder end of the barrel

I grayed out the last part of the serial number in the picture, but it's actually very clear and vivid just like all the other letters and such. I guess I get that from living in Ga you don't need a title to buy or sale a car that is more then a certian number of years old, so all you need is the VIN and bill of sale. So when posting your old classic online you don't give the whole VIN :lol:

Thanks for liking my photos!