Old style Super Blackhawk .44 grips?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

GHollan

Bearcat
The picture of the Super Blackhawk grip posted in this thread looks very close to the condition of my grip but I don't have the broken piece.

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=169851

I have an old style Super Blackhawk .44 that appears to have been manufactured in 1969; 3 screw, square trigger guard, blue steel, 7 ½" barrel.

Where can I buy factory grips since at a minimum I want to have a pair available and what additional grip do you suggest I try and where might I purchase it?

Is the grip the same for both the Old Model and New Model Super Blackhawk?

Thank you.

George

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to the Forum!
Fortunately, the OM's & the NM's share the same grip frame in the Super Blackhawk with the Dragoon trigger guard.
But to get a correct set of stocks for your 1969 gun, you will need to advertise in the Classifieds for a set. Prepare to spend around $50-$75 depending upon condition.

GHollan

Bearcat
contender said:
Welcome to the Forum!
Fortunately, the OM's & the NM's share the same grip frame in the Super Blackhawk with the Dragoon trigger guard.
But to get a correct set of stocks for your 1969 gun, you will need to advertise in the Classifieds for a set. Prepare to spend around $50-$75 depending upon condition.

I'll look around for some stock grips and put an ad in if can't find any. My research is pointing to Hogue as a reasonable after market grip?

Dragoon trigger guard; I am learning all kinds of things as I research my new, old gun.

I read in your signature you are a scuba instructor. I am 1 year and 50 dives into scuba and just beginning shooting underwater (photography).

Thank you for the warm welcome and reply.

George

contender

Ruger Guru
If you get Hogues,,, get wood ones. The rubber types on a SA can make it harder for many to shoot one properly. The SA design is such as to allow the gun to "roll" in the hand during recoil. Rubber grips like Hogues don't do that. However, different hands create different fit & feel to many. Some folks do find the rubber grips work for them. But by far, most of us that shoot a lot of SA's especially recoiling ones understand the rolling of the recoil.

I've been a diver since 1979. I started assisting an instructor in 1982. I got my instructor in 1987. I retired from teaching in 2004. We could start a whole 'nother discussion on diving,,,!

So, just like getting GOOD instruction for diving,, if you aren't sure about a proper grip on a SA,, maybe a little proper instruction may be in order,,,,???

GHollan

Bearcat
contender said:
If you get Hogues,,, get wood ones. The rubber types on a SA can make it harder for many to shoot one properly. The SA design is such as to allow the gun to "roll" in the hand during recoil. Rubber grips like Hogues don't do that. However, different hands create different fit & feel to many. Some folks do find the rubber grips work for them. But by far, most of us that shoot a lot of SA's especially recoiling ones understand the rolling of the recoil.

I've been a diver since 1979. I started assisting an instructor in 1982. I got my instructor in 1987. I retired from teaching in 2004. We could start a whole 'nother discussion on diving,,,!

So, just like getting GOOD instruction for diving,, if you aren't sure about a proper grip on a SA,, maybe a little proper instruction may be in order,,,,???

Yes, instruction is definitely in order. I choose not to have guns in the house while my kids where still around, even to the point of keeping my hunting rifle at my Dad's in his gun safe.

My kids' are out of the house and now is a great time for my son and me to take some gun safety and shooting classes together.

Getting the heirlooms in good working order is the 1st step. I ordered a grip before you responded and fortunately it was wood.

Between my brother and I we have an impressive collection of firearms to shoot thanks to my Dad. He was passionate about shooting, an active NRA member, involved in his local Gun Clubs, served his county with distinction, proficient loader, and set an example of how to safely and responsibly enjoy his favorite hobby.

I have too many hobbies and adding shooting might make my wife crazy. Good thing she is a great lady to put up with my sports photography, diving, golf, and now shooting. Does drinking good wine, dark beer, and smoking cigars (not while handling a firearm) count as hobbies?

Regards

contender

Ruger Guru
Sounds like you are on the right road. Get someone who knows about seriously shooting SA's to teach you about gripping etc. It does make a difference.
As for your hobbies,,, you are in good company on this Forum!

GHollan

Bearcat
I assume these are the correct grips? Thanks

Ruger Grip Panels - Pair Ruger Super Blackhawk 7-1/2" and 10-1/2" Barrel

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/150640/ruger-grip-panels-pair-ruger-super-blackhawk-7-1-2-and-10-1-2-barrel

flatgate

Hawkeye
150640.jpg

Wow, that's a "lot of grip" for the money! Very nice, IMHO. (No "rubber baby buggy bumper" grips for me!)

flatgate

GHollan

Bearcat
Unfortunately the new grips don't quite fit. The two alignment pegs on the grip frame, or whatever they are called, are very slightly off and the grips won't go on.

I suppose I could enlarge the alignment holes on the grips if there wouldn't be any concern the grip would move once installed.

BlackEagle

Blackhawk
GHollan said:
Unfortunately the new grips don't quite fit. The two alignment pegs on the grip frame, or whatever they are called, are very slightly off and the grips won't go on.

I suppose I could enlarge the alignment holes on the grips if there wouldn't be any concern the grip would move once installed.
Take your time and be careful. You can make new holes and fill the old ones. If you are not careful the grips will slide on the gripframe when they are installed.

Hammerdown77

Blackhawk
Put them on the locator pin first, then try to press the grip into place.

If you could take a picture and post it here of how they are fitting, that would be helpful.

GHollan

Bearcat
If I am reading correctly, file the grip on the top front edge rather than enlarge the guide or alignment post hole?

The new grip is slightly larger in length and depth.

Thank you.

148775407.jpg

148775408.jpg

148775409.jpg

148775411.jpg

148775413.jpg

148775410.jpg

SATCOM

Blackhawk
Ghollan,

I will send you a pair of real/correct and proper fitting Ruger grips at no cost, for your gun.

Get your $$ back on those oversized ones.

RF members black eagles or squashed chickens for his Super?

PM me your address and I get some out by this week-end.

SATCOM

BlackEagle

Blackhawk
SATCOM said:
Ghollan,

I will send you a pair of real/correct and proper fitting Ruger grips at no cost, for your gun.

SATCOM

Black Eagles. That is very generous of you. :)

GHollan

Bearcat
SATCOM said:
Ghollan,

SATCOM

SATCOM,

I received the grips and installed them last night. They look great and fit fantastic. I can't thank you enough for your generosity.

149002200.jpg

Latest posts