Old School Scope

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Putting together an "old school" rifle for a display at the local gun show. I have a first year Ruger # 1. looking for a time period correct, say 1960 thru 1967 scope. looking for a Lyman Alaskan, old 3X power Leopold but open to ideas. FNC

Scott, I believe the Lyman Alaskan has a 7/8" tube? I don't have one but with the vintage glass you'll need to be careful on tube diameter.

I think that Leupold 3x would be a nice look. Good luck on your search - sounds like a neat project/display.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
How about a classic Unertl, or reproduction thereof? :)

:
Scott, I believe the Lyman Alaskan has a 7/8" tube? I don't have one but with the vintage glass you'll need to be careful on tube diameter.

I think that Leupold 3x would be a nice look. Good luck on your search - sounds like a neat project/display.
yes...you are correct. I need 1in rings. Lyman makes 1in early scopes. ill be using Ruger early "Split Rings" that are on the rifle now. so that ill stick with that. thanks

BladeRimfire

Bearcat
On a classic the rings and scope make the rifle. Not a Ruger, but a 3 digit Kimber Clackamas Cascade 223. Took me months to find the rings which were made close to 40 years ago. Put a Burris gloss mini 4x12 AO on her.
20230222_180609.jpg

BladeRimfire

Bearcat
No sir, those are Kimber rings I believe designed specifically for that Kimber. The only way I was able to acquire them was from an 82yr old collector in Colorado Springs, CO who had them stashed back. I met him off of 24hourcampfire & Rimfirecentral. That was the 3rd time he helped me. He's been a lifesaver. The early Kimber has a round top receiver making it difficult to put just any ring on top of it. Of course the ring to rifle finish was an exact match. The rings were 3 to 4 times the price of average rings but in the long run the extra $100 above norm that I spent on them made the rifle. Premium cost premium unless we just get lucky every once in a while.

RugerForMe

Single-Sixer
I have a vintage Redfield TV view scope that I had on a No.1. The scope didn't like the recoil of a .375 H&H Mag. and the cross hairs are broken.

But it your just looking for the look this might fit the bill. Not sure when these were made, I also have another older scope but I'm not sure what it is, I will have to look for them this weekend if you're interested.

maybe something like these, none are mine , just trying to help out