Old Photo # 21 ** Added pic, different view **

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Sam Johnson

Blackhawk
Prospector-summer.jpg

Alaska Prospector and Pack Dog, ready for summer trail. about 1900.

Prospector.jpg

Added another view of same prospector.

caryc

Hawkeye
Great pics. Thanks, keep them coming please.

Must have been a jackass shortage. Nice of him to carry that heavy hammer himself isn't it?

caryc

Hawkeye
Otony, you're right, I didn't notice the pack.

I'm kind of wondering what that hat band business is. He is wearing a pretty spiffy set of gloves though.

Anybody care to guess what his rifle is?

RVN11B40

Single-Sixer
Really have no idea on the make of the rifle. Looks interesting though.

The hat band is, or looks to be, mosquito netting, like we used in Viet Nam.

Otony

Blackhawk
Mosquito netting may be a pretty good guess, the skeeters up north can get pretty darn big. And boy howdy, he does have a spiffy set of gloves, and I am inclined to think a nice Savage 99 as well.

Just conjecture on my part, but I don't get a cheechako "feel" from this fellow. He looks like he was the real deal.

Otony

Blackhawk
Most definitely a Savage 99 and if you take a good hard look, I am willing to bet those are Bean boot-pacs or something very much like 'em! Nice shirt too, looks like wool.

You can see the cartridges in his belt are bottle-necked, so chances are his 99 is chambered to either .303 Savage or "thutty-thutty". There are two other possibilities, .22 Savage High Power, also known as The Imp, or .25-35, but the slugs look larger than either of those rounds.

Sam, all these photos have been especially neat, but the very first and this last are standouts. I love seeing pictures of fellows hunting and prospecting back when men were men and toilet paper was scarce on the ground! :wink:

psyclone66

Single-Sixer
Look like they are heading off for a grand adventure. I liked 303 Savage or 30-40 Krag for the cartridge. Medium caliber, rimmed, a third of overall length forward of an abrupt shoulder. I spent a portion of Sunday evening trying to make the rifle for a 1895 or 99 Savage, but I thought the lower portion of the trigger guard was too straight and was too skairt to call it. And is that a hint of bolt handle in pic2? Nice looking wolfdog trying to look happy about being reduced to a pack animal. :lol:
Any more pics of this feller Sam?

BlackEye

Single-Sixer
Lol, for some reason the thought came to mind of the dog taking off to chase some critter, stringing supplies all over the place. Hopefully it didn't happen.

Great pictures. Thanks for sharing.