"Old Model" Single Six Magnum cylinder question.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

JTHJTH

Bearcat
Just bought a "Old Model" Single Six Magnum, c.1963. Do they make a 22lr cylinder that I can put in this gun? If so, where would be the best place to get one?

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to the Forum!
Your gun MAY have been shipped with a 22LR cylinder,,, but the only way to know would be to request a letter from Ruger. (Cost is $10.) That said, an OM 22 LR cylinder that measures the same OAL as your cylinder could easily drop in. Many folks buy extra cylinders in our classifieds, off sleezbay, gunbroker etc. If the OAl is the same or slightly longer, generally thay can be fitted & dropped in. Of course, you should have a gunsmith check the timing & alignment. Most will not require any extra work, but you should check to make sure.

If your gun says "WIN. .22 RF MAG CAL." it did not come with a .22lr cylinder. They can sometimes be found on Ebay or check our "Classified" section
Midway offers an 8 shot .22lr cylinder.
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/681957/story-8-round-replacement-cylinder-ruger-single-six-22-long-rifle-steel-blue
They do not give the dimensions of it so I would have to assume that it would need to be fitted.

JTHJTH

Bearcat
Thanks for the good info gentlemen. I am going to start hunting one down. I have a couple of young sons and a daughter I want to get into shooting and the 22lr is a little cheaper and tamer for breaking them in. (Granted I can find the ammo!).

GasGuzzler

Hunter
It's most likely a mag only but you could send the number to a few choice people here to find out....or better yet, spend the $10 to make it official as contender suggested. eBay is the quickest source. Expect to spend about $120.

contender said:
Actually Frank, there were some magnum marked guns that were shipped as convertables.
I know that but why make the issue any more confusing? His serial number, if it is a '63, doesn't fall into the range mentioned in the RENE guide. :) :)

contender

Ruger Guru
I put the info out there so he could understand it is safe to shoot 22 LR's in his gun and that Ruger did make those guns as convertables. New folks need the truth too! That way, he can add a 22 LR cylinder to his gun, use it safely, and know that while it's not "true factory" it can be used that way.

308longdistance

Blackhawk
contender said:
I put the info out there so he could understand it is safe to shoot 22 LR's in his gun and that Ruger did make those guns as convertables. New folks need the truth too! That way, he can add a 22 LR cylinder to his gun, use it safely, and know that while it's not "true factory" it can be used that way.

thumbsup2_zps27e8ecaa.gif

Mostly applies to the 22Mag cylinder, but it works both ways.

Any Ruger Single-Six with a SN pre 150,000 is 22lr only, and any post 150,000 SN is 22lr / 22mag. safe.

street

Hunter
308longdistance said:
contender said:

thumbsup2_zps27e8ecaa.gif

Mostly applies to the 22Mag cylinder, but it works both ways.

Any Ruger Single-Six with a SN pre 150,000 is 22lr only, and any post 150,000 SN is 22lr / 22mag. safe.
After Ruger started making Convertibles they also sold the 5 1/2 in. Single-Six with just a .22 LR cylinder only, all the way till the New Models came out. But they also sold the 5 1/2 in bl. Single-Sixes in convertible too. Most .22 LR only, but not all, will "NOT" have the last 3 numbers scratched on the end of the cylinder. The only way to tell is to get a letter from Ruger.

Also don't forget that MOST of the Mag. marked 6 1/2 in. bl. guns in the 300,000 range will be single cylinder guns in .22 Mag only, with only a few convertibles.

smunozam

Bearcat
Sorry for digging up an old post,
I have a 1969 Ruger single six 22 LR. the serial number reads: 20-01707

So I'm assuming it will not fire 22 WMR (i was starting to look for a cylinder for it)

Thanks for your help

Best regards.

SMUNOZAM

Captura de pantalla 2024-03-15 181511.png

contender

Ruger Guru
smunozam,,,,, "Welcome to the Forum!

Yes,, your gun # 20-01707 is of late enough vintage to have the larger bore size that WILL allow the use of .22 mag ammo, with a correct cylinder.

smunozam

Bearcat
smunozam,,,,, "Welcome to the Forum!

Yes,, your gun # 20-01707 is of late enough vintage to have the larger bore size that WILL allow the use of .22 mag ammo, with a correct cylinder.
Wow! that's great news Contender. Thanks so much. Nice to be here!

Latest posts