Old Model Ruger Blackhawk Values

Help Support Ruger Forum:

22short

Bearcat
A good friend inherited some firearms and as part of that there were several Ruger revolvers involved. He has kept some but is interested in selling seem others. A couple of those are early flat top models. Both are .44 magnums, one from 1959 in a 6.5 inch barrel and one from 1960 with the 10 inch barrel. Both were carried by his family member and hunted so used. The shorter model has some scars on one side form being carried or stored where it rubbed on or against something. The 10 inch model has normal wear around the end of the muzzle and along the ejector housing but nothing damaged.

He has a third that is also a 6.5 model of the new model Blackhawk form 1976 so it has the line on the barrel saying it is the Countries 200th year or something like that. It however is a .41 magnum and is in quite good condition. All currently have old Pachmeyer grips and on ewith crappy imitation stag grips. He is supposed to be receiving the original grips from his family in the mail soon.

He asked me if I knew anything about values and I said I really didn't other than what I read and see in listings on the internet. I am normally a Colt enthusiast but always enjoy researching new things so I thought I would ask around about these and see what I can find out. I've enjoyed reading a lot of articles on the older pre-transfer bar models. Enough so to join the forum and order the Red Eagle News. I'm looking forward to leaning more about these nice handguns.

I'm going to attempt to attach some photos here of the .44 and the .41 so folks can comment or tell me I don't know what I'm talking about.

http://s1287.photobucket.com/user/davesfine/library/

Thanks for looking.

Dave

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to the Forum.
I'll offer a little info.
The "Liberty" marked 41 magnum Blackhawk is a nice gun. But, in 1976, Ruger marked all the guns made that year with the Liberty message. While a few models were kinda rare, those that enjoyed normal production numbers are not worth much more than the non-marked ones of the same model. To get a Liberty gun to be worth more, it has to be in mint condition, and have the box, papers etc. Even then, they only command about $50-$100 more than a normal one. In 1959 it is likely they both came with either black plastic, or walnut grips.
Next, the two 44 mag Flattops.
First, the 6-1/2" one is the most common variation. Model BKH-46. Since it is used, and shows wear, that plays heavily on value. Plus, the original grips need to be with the gun, as it does make a difference. In 1959 it is likely they both came with either black plastic, or walnut grips. Shooter grade 6-1/2" 44's bring $600-$800 depending on condition, completeness, etc. It will help any sale to disclose the serial numbers as many folks chase certain numbers. Also, detailed pics of the guns, broken down by model, UP CLOSE, will help a bunch in determining condition etc. If you are hesitant about posting a serial number, then post part of it. Say, 123XX. Then interested parties can at least get closer & inquire privately.
The 10" 44 mag is the most desirable one of the three. It's a model BKH-40. Again, condition greatly affects values. Especially on desirable guns. The 6-1/2" guns enjoyed a production quantity of about 10,000 while the 10" guns only about 1500. It's a definate given that these guns command good prices according to condition. This is where seriously good pics will be required. Values can range from $1000 to as much as $1800 for a NICE example. If this one has wear, and it isn't wearing the original grips, it'll be closer to the $1000 mark.
Details are what make all the differences here.
Next, did he get any of the boxes? Original boxes command premiums as well. The BKH-40 is a fine example of a $300 box if it's in good shape.
The devil is in the details!

street

Hunter
contender said:
Original boxes command premiums as well. The BKH-40 is a fine example of a $300 box if it's in good shape.
The devil is in the details!

Contender!!! You better check the price on a box for a 10 in. .44 Flattop again!!!!! I will buy every 10 in .44 Flattop box that you can come up with for $300!!!!!

HAWKEYE#28

Staff member
BE CAREFUL ON PRICING ESTIMATES UNTIL PHOTOS OCCUR. NUMBERS AND REALITY ARE ............ AT BEST, ONLY DISTANT COUSINS. PARTS NEED TO BE CORRECT AND FINISH % NEEDS CONSIDERATION. ANSWERING IN THE BLIND DOES NO ONE SERVICE........... :idea: 8)I AM INVOLVED..........FOR REASONS SOME OF YOU MAY UNDERSTAND. IT IS NOT ALWAYS ABOUT PURCHASING......COMPRENDE? :roll:

contender

Ruger Guru
street, you are correct. I was thinking a bit differently. (Facepalm smack!)
And Hawkeye#28 is also correct. It's all about condition on both guns & condition.

22short (Dave) welcome to the forum and yes, at least 'contender' tried to give the you an "answer" to a question that is YES .subjective and opinionated, but at least a stab at it, same goes for looking in any "book of values", obviously it depends on "condition" and originality, same goes for the "value" of boxes,condition and rarity BUT that being said, over the years I had sold TWO 10 inch boxes , both to members here of the forum, and I sold one for $250 and the other for $300 !!!!
yes, I have heard what some have paid for at the auction, BUT I did not do that.............most we ever paid for a "box" was for the one we all pitched in for Bob C some time ago...............and the first and ONLY One I ever bought on e-bay and paid just enough to "beat" steve ruger, too much for an RSS "uncataloged" version and that was long ago !!! 8)
bottom line Tys' pricing on the guns was pretty close and I agree with them, subject to "seeing" them for a proper evaluation......as well as ANY addition of boxes to the guns, then a horse of a different color... :wink:

street

Hunter
If anyone has any 10 in 357 or .44 Blackhawk Old model boxes for $250 to $300 please send me a PM. :D :D :D

you should have been there, at Tulsa, when I OUTBID mr Dougan on all the boxes that were being offered for sale, and YES, the one 10 box was in there, and YES , I sold it to my friend Bill Y ( and driver that trip) for $250 for a 10 inch old model 44 mag box!!!! 8) :wink:

and this was NOT the first time I gave a friend a REAL DEAL !!! :roll:

Latest posts