Old Model Blackhawk .30 Carbine

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Hugh

Buckeye
Today while in one of my stopping places there was a 3-screw .30 Carbine, 6-1/2" Blackhawk. Appearance is easily 95%+ as there is a very slight turn line, slight wear on the end of the erh, ever so slight wear on the end of the barrel (left side), likewise the cylinder. Pawn shop is asking $549. My friend tells me I can have it for $500 plus tax. Serial is 50-031XX; I believe that puts it in 1969. Sorry, no pic's.

Cylinder is in place at end of slow cock; tried this several times. No movement after last click. No push-off on hammer.

I haven't the faintest idea what I'd do with a .30 except put it in my safe; much prefer .357.

Price?

Tommy Kelly

Buckeye
I really enjoy shooting my 30 carbine blackhawks. I have 2 one I bought new the other I got used at a good price. I cut back the barrel on my new one to 4 5/8" that's my favorite barrel length. And now I have 2 very special 30 carbines that I enjoy One ruger's way the other my way. Both are great shooters. I just wish I had of bought up a big supply of the ammo years ago when it was cheap for them.

Calthrop

Single-Sixer
Not a bad price. For about the same money invested you could have it re-barreled and chambered for .45APC. As that I am generally opposed to cutting up nice OM's I'd say it's a shooter for sure. Though very different than any .357 just the same do not forget the hearing protection.

What I'm trying to say if you feel adventurous give it a whirl. If you have the disposable income that is. There is one in the classifieds for about the same price now. JMVVHO. Calthrop

They're a fun gun if you reload.

Are you sure about the 6-1/2" barrel? As far as I know, they were only made in 7-1/2" length. A 6-1/2" would most likely have been cut down.

:)

c.robertson

Bearcat
I currently have a New Model .30 Carbine Blackhawk. Just recently started shooting gas check cast bullets with excellent results.

When I read about Old Model .30 Carbine Blackhawks I want to cry. I had one serial #143, NO PREFEX, just 143. Paid $125.00 in 1975 and sold it in 1976 for $250.00. Yeah, thought I made a deal.
Later I seen it advertised in Shotgun News with a wood display case for $1,000.00. :(

flatgate

Hawkeye
Gosh, I sure thought they had 7-1/2" barrels!

:D

48278843.jpg

flatgate

Hugh

Buckeye
You guys are probably right. I didn't have my tape and it did appear long for a 6-1/2", so I asked; and he said 6-1/2". I am aware of the very sharp report of the .30 in a short barrel such as this. It's painful to say the least.

In my younger years I stuffed a lot of ammunition into a 3"-50 gun hopper on a Destroyer. I was a First Loader on one of the 3" mounts. A few years later before going into the submarine force I spent time on the bridge, not 40 feet from a 3" rifle during General Quarters; hence a partial reason for my hearing loss; the same type of report, but greatly magnified. My Ruger Model 77 .308 and Security Six may have played a small part in the hearing loss.

Alas, I believe I'll pass on this beauty and hold out for a 3-screw .357 6-1/2". I really do like my 6-1/2" New Model in .357.

Flatgate, that is what I was looking at. Thanks for the great photo.

Chief_10Beers

Blackhawk
Hugh said:
Today while in one of my stopping places there was a 3-screw .30 Carbine, 6-1/2" Blackhawk. Appearance is easily 95%+ as there is a very slight turn line, slight wear on the end of the erh, ever so slight wear on the end of the barrel (left side), likewise the cylinder. Pawn shop is asking $549. My friend tells me I can have it for $500 plus tax. Serial is 50-031XX; I believe that puts it in 1969. Sorry, no pic's.

Cylinder is in place at end of slow cock; tried this several times. No movement after last click. No push-off on hammer.

I haven't the faintest idea what I'd do with a .30 except put it in my safe; much prefer .357.

Price?

You can buy a M1 Carbine to go along with the Blackhawk :D ................................