o shaped vs d shaped swap

Help Support Ruger Forum:

waldo1324

Bearcat
ok so i didnt wait long enought to purchase my pretty SR9. so i got the O shaped mag release.. is it a straight swap to the D release? can i call Ruger and buy the whole bottom half?

thanks mod experts!

ArmedinAZ

Buckeye
waldo1324 said:
ok so i didnt wait long enought to purchase my pretty SR9. so i got the O shaped mag release.. is it a straight swap to the D release? can i call Ruger and buy the whole bottom half?

thanks mod experts!

If you have to have the D button buy a new pistol. Don't you like it?

Grendel

Single-Sixer
Not sure how easy it is to buy the grip frame from Ruger as that's the registered part.

It wouldn't be a direct swap because the holes in the frame are different.

-JT

jdavis

Single-Sixer
It isn't the magazine release button that should worry you but the trigger system. You might be able to get the improved trigger mechanism from Ruger or have them install it for you.

jhearne

Buckeye
You can upgrade some of the internal parts from Galloway Precision. He makes kits to improve the original SR9 trigger. If you want to improve the SR9 trigger, this is the best, and most painless way to do it.

You cannot simply buy a new grip frame as it is the registered part, and the internals between the variants do not exactly swap via drop-in.

Josh

waldo1324

Bearcat
thanks fellas-- yah im looking for the new trigger. ill go with the aftermarket, JH.
itll be more fun tearing her apart anyways.

gstan1919

Single-Sixer
waldo1324 said:
thanks fellas-- yah im looking for the new trigger. ill go with the aftermarket, JH.
itll be more fun tearing her apart anyways.

If you call Ruger and complain about the lousy trigger, they will upgrade it for you.
They did mine free of charge, I only paid for the shipping. And what a difference.

On the other hand, if you do it yourself, you will have the satisfaction of a job well done and not be without your SR9 for a few weeks.

waldo1324

Bearcat
no kidding?!!! ill call Ruger tomorrow!
ill of course mod myself a few things...i have machinist guy whom im challenging to make a SS guide rod.

22bond

Single-Sixer
gstan1919 said:
If you call Ruger and complain about the lousy trigger, they will upgrade it for you.
They did mine free of charge, I only paid for the shipping. And what a difference.

On the other hand, if you do it yourself, you will have the satisfaction of a job well done and not be without your SR9 for a few weeks.

How old was your gun?
I called yesterday and they said depend on how old it is.
They need the serial number to verify and I didn't have it with me.
I complained about the mag release and trgger.
My mag release button would occassionally get stuck on to one side when I push it in. I have to push it back and forth to free it up.
They said to send it in and they will check it out.
No free shipping since it is more than a year old.

exavid

Hunter
I didn't like the trigger on my SR9 when I got it so I installed a Ghost Rocket kit. That's the one that you have to take the pistol apart, install it, test the trigger and then take it back out and hone off a bit more metal until you get the exact action you want. It took me a bout an hour and a half and six tries to get it right. I sure know how to do a complete tear down on the pistol now too. With the Rocket installed the trigger is crisp, has a very short reset and feels smooth with perhaps a 4lb. pull. Ghost also sells drop in units if you don't want to custom fit one. They really do improve the trigger action and increased my accuracy with the gun, no more pulling the gun downward with a rough trigger.

gstan1919

Single-Sixer
22bond said:
gstan1919 said:

How old was your gun?
I called yesterday and they said depend on how old it is.
They need the serial number to verify and I didn't have it with me.
I complained about the mag release and trgger.
My mag release button would occassionally get stuck on to one side when I push it in. I have to push it back and forth to free it up.
They said to send it in and they will check it out.
No free shipping since it is more than a year old.

If I remember right they told me they upgraded the trigger assemblies in Aug of 2009. So if yours is older than that they will do the upgrade for free.
Mine has a test fired date of 7/29/2009.

They replaced the Striker Assembly
Striker Cover, Trigger Bar Assembly and the Trigger Bar Reset.
I sent it out on 11/23/2010.
Ruger received it on 11/26/2010 and released it 12/07/2010
I had it back on 12/10/2010

And what a difference the trigger is now. It is just like my SR40. Smooth and easy. Not rough and gritty.