Not a Ruger but an "auto revolver"

Help Support Ruger Forum:

ibboatin28

Single-Sixer
NDIH but have any of you seen an Mateba Autorevolver? Quite unique...

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=339185864

caryc

Hawkeye
" The barrel is aligned with the bottom of the cylinder for less muzzle flip".

Seems like that thing would create a pretty big "slam" straight back into your hand with 44 mags.

Semi-automatic revolvers are just a different solution to the same problem as a semi-automatic pistol. I'd really like to own and shoot a Webly-Fosbery. But, the last one I saw for sale went for over $7000. I looked at the Mateba when the first showed up, but even someone as well known for a "different" taste in handguns like me couldn't get past it's ugliness.

DPris

Buckeye
Worked with one years ago in .357 Mag.
Recoil very light in a heavy gun.
No practical advantage over a conventional revolver, actually couldn't fire as fast since the upper half had to cycle too while the cylinder was rotating.
Broke on the 62nd factory round & the company was not able to get me a replacement.
No leather.
Nothing but a curiosity.
Denis

caryc

Hawkeye
DPris said:
No practical advantage over a conventional revolver, actually couldn't fire as fast since the upper half had to cycle too while the cylinder was rotating.
Broke on the 62nd factory round & the company was not able to get me a replacement.
No leather.
Nothing but a curiosity.
Denis

Never seen one in person but I would have to agree with you. The way I look at it is "why"?

caryc said:
DPris said:
No leather.
Nothing but a curiosity.
Denis

Never seen one in person but I would have to agree with you. The way I look at it is "why"?

Well, as a fellow (now sadly passed) for another forum said, "Because I can". That, and "why not"?

caryc

Hawkeye
Jeepnik said:
caryc said:

Well, as a fellow (no sadly passed) for another forum said, "Because I can". That, and "why not"?

OK, but that doesn't make me want one. I always wanted one of the Starr revolvers. Why? For the most part because they are really unique looking, but that Metebo is just plain ugly.

caryc said:
Jeepnik said:
caryc said:

Well, as a fellow (no sadly passed) for another forum said, "Because I can". That, and "why not"?

OK, but that doesn't make me want one. I always wanted one of the Starr revolvers. Why? For the most part because they are really unique looking, but that Metebo is just plain ugly.

Yep, they are ugly, no doubt about that. But that's only to you and me, some folks might find them pretty. Though they are likely folks that are blind. :mrgreen:

woodsy

Blackhawk
And then there are people who don't give two cents about what a firearm looks like, just how it shoots. (Couldn't have been anything uglier than the AR15 when it first came out) After a while the looks become acceptable, or at least ignorable (kinda like a Dodge Ram truck, yeccch).
The advantages of firing through the lower barrel are unimpeachable. However, too many of these mechanisms have too many moving parts, quite unlike a Blackhawk, etc. The challenge should be for a really bright and imaginative designer to have a version with close to (and reliability of) the simplicity of a DA/SA revolver, of conventional design.
I think the Mateba and Rhino are brilliant, but flawed.

Latest posts