No. 1 RSI 35 cal "Thumper"

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Recently picked up my dream gun from the gunsmith. I've been working on it and obtaining parts since January, and with backlog on barrel orders and getting it in the queue to put it together and finish, it's taken awhile.

New Douglas barrel, chambered in 35 Whelen. Just about perfect for my current deep woods type hunting.

If it's not raining I will be carrying it during bear and deer season this year - can't wait!!

TinkerDave

Single-Sixer
That is basically my dream rifle, only I would love to have it made up as an Ackley Improved to compensate for the shorter barrel. That is nice. Did you start with an RSI? TD

It started as a pretty well used 1B, but I was able to find the right parts to put together the RSI. I seriously considered the AI version, but in the end I like the options of the factory ammo availability so went with this one.

All the metal parts (quarter rib, front sight, muzzle cap, etc) readily available from various sources including Brownells and Numrich. The barrel is a simple 1A profile which can be obtained from various barrel makers, or use a 1A profile Ruger barrel have it rebored. The only difficult part was the international forend... no easy way to get one of those, but I stumbled on one awhile back and was able to put the package together.

This year, just deer; but next year and future both deer and bear. I'll be shooting factory ammo this year with plans to load my own in the future. I'd sure appreciate any insights on load info; especially for the short carbine barrel. Thanks!