No. 1 in 220 Swift - ?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

mohavesam

Hawkeye
Local has a No. 1 blued, 220 Swift medium barrel no iron sights. Is this a "V" model? I've looked it over and found it to be near-new condition, no wear or damage to buttpad, metal finish, or stocks. Rings included. I cannot presume it is unfired, but it is as-new otherwise. It is a Ruger employee collection gun.

I have only owned a couple No. 1 rifles, and they both managed to raise my BP when trying to dial them in for accuracy. I've never owned more-finicky rifles, beit ambient temperature, powders, or bullets. I have some trepidation about the rifle, never having owned a 220 either.

I don't shoot varmints anymore, so for me it would be a range rifle 97.625% of my remaining life.

I just don't know what value to put on it when reaching for my cash... What say ye, all things considered? :?:

chilidog

Single-Sixer
The IB has a full length scope mount and the V model has 2 smaller mounts, one for each ring.
I bought my 1B a year ago and probably have a little over 900 in it.it is new in box.

roofinspector

Single-Sixer
The No.1V in 220 swift is one of my favorites. I recently purchased one like you described for $700 with a 6x18 scope. I normally do not give that much for these rifles, but the wood is nice on both sides; and inspection showed no apparent salt wood. One never knows what is on what nowadays. I normally buy in the 400-600 dollar range for donors. Everyone has their own threshold in purchase price, I see some go for double that, but probably won't be me anytime soon. Trade in value hits hard at times.

The old swift is hard to beat cartridge wise in its niche, even with today's designs. In the regular oem state, the swift brass will grow, but there is always the option of going to the improved version which helps the stretching plus a little more speed.

This is my second No.1V in the swift, the first one I have shot for years, is an honest 3/4" rifle with my handloads. I had to diddle with the forearm bedding to get it consistent. I never asked for much more than that with that first rifle with its original barrel, hits where you look.

I normally change to an aftermarket barrel immediately after buying a No.1, but the swifts are special to me. If the new one does not shoot like the old one or better, a new tube will go on; not a big deal.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
So... A good deal at $400 to 600, but you rebarrel them anyway?
I have never found a $400 no. 1, in forty years. But I miss a lot... :oops:

Is this a deal at 700 ? Worth adding a new caliber to my kingdom? Or not?

chilidog

Single-Sixer
It's a good deal at 700 if it's in good shape. The swift is a lot of fun, with a max load with hollow points or ballistic tips you can make a crow explode into a puff of feathers!

roofinspector

Single-Sixer
I told what I have paid for donor No.1's. Trade-in value at my local shops is less than those numbers. Tis a niche gun, not a 401K like some think.

If you watch what you buy $-wise, then adding a 150-250 dollar barrel is feasible; in my case, the install is free, but a bit of work on the time at the machines.

Sometimes fine wood that is good, and a clean exterior metal wise in your caliber will call to you. If the rifle does not shoot, then rebarrel with a high grade blank is my way of doing things. I also restock. Have a lot of take off barrels and some stocks laying around, sometimes those things come in handy for different projects you know. I resell nothing.

Looks like the ball is in your court on the rifle you spoke of.

Critch

Single-Sixer
I just bought one for for $900 and topped it with a 3-9x40 Leupold that I had...I love this rifle..I've always wanted one and this one has not been shot, but it could not be sold as new..

I used to shoot a friends 220 Swift in Wyoming over 40 years ago and I have always thought highly of the cartridge..