Nifty Type 2 Transition BKH3 Flattop

Help Support Ruger Forum:

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
Not sure how many collectors follow the transition flattops, but this is an interesting gun. RENE lists the Type 2 Transition in the general SN range 7407-9521 with one known higher number "parts bin" gun with the early narrow-lands base pin at 11588. Then in the general Type 2 guns, RENE notes that the early thin curved trigger changed to the later thicker trigger by at least 11906.

So here is a gun that is a little higher than 11588 and a little lower than 11906 that has both the early narrow-lands base pin and the later thick trigger.

There can't be many with this particular combination of features. Must have been more than one older base pin make it to the parts bin back in the day (late 1957 to early 1958). Just happened to also be at the time when the new triggers were available.

Local gun, just picked up on Friday. It has the capped base pin latch nut, the dimpled ER button, and the rear sight elevation screw without the pointer. Some holster wear and a cylinder line, but not a bad flattop.

Rare-T2-Trans-BKH3.jpg

tommygun

Single-Sixer
I find these variations interesting while at the same time as BKH3 collector, drives me nuts. I have #6700 that has a small serrated ejr button. RENE lists the type one transition, serial number range 6266 to 7240 as having dimpled ejr button.

Hashknife Hartley

Single-Sixer
My parts bin gun, #132XX, shipped in January, 1958, has the thin curved trigger, narrow groove base pin, capped base pin nut and the pointer on the rear sight screw; maybe they were trying to get rid of all the old parts when this one was made. Here's a pic,
355996709.jpg

Doesn't seem like it's a true Type 2, but it's too late to be considered a Transitional, it just is what it is I guess.
HH