New Winchester 21 Sharp rimfire

Help Support Ruger Forum:

hpman66

Hunter
IMHO, about the only positive attributešŸ¤”šŸ„± for this round would be that it would probably be an easy barrel swap for guns like the 10/22, 77/22, other swap barrel rimfires.

Last edited:

eveled

Hawkeye
I'm not into wildcat or odd ball cartridges, but I understand the interest to tinker. If it can be reloaded, it sounds like fun.

Odd ball rimfires make no sense to me. Reloading would not be practical.

Some people just want to reinvent the wheel.

gunzo

Hunter
Hmm, as much as the 22lr is so deeply rooted in the hobby/sport etc. it is a 136 year old cartridge & it's bullet design goes back further than that. The 21S does make sense. The bullets can offer quite a bit more bearing length if needed & could be fine tuned in shape for maximum B.C. & accuracy. Versatility the heeled 22 bullet lacks.

I'm nearly 70, keep 20-30K of LR ammo on hand & have a couple armloads of 22LR firearms that I enjoy regularly so I won't be fist in line for a new 21. But whether it's successful or not, it's an interesting move toward a better design.

Xrayist

Single-Sixer
Is it just me or does anyone else wonder how manufacturers can introduce new cartridges, have brass, projectiles, powder and primers to manufacture these rounds, yet not have enough components for common calibers? Try finding some 45-70 brass, or some of the "obscure" calibers like 32-20, 30-40 Krag. These are unobtainable unless you are willing to pay 2 bucks+ for a single cartridge case.

CHEVYINLINE6

Single-Sixer
It would make more sense to me to shorten a 22WMR and keep the .224 projectile.
They already make that cartridge. It's the Winchester 22WRF and the 22 Remington Special the parents to the 22 Winchester 22WMR ( 22 magnum )The WRF used a flat nosed bullet and the 22 Remington Special used a round nosed bullet.

eveled

Hawkeye
A lot of new cartridges make sense on paper. They may be far superior to the old standard cartridges. But its a tough thing to break in with something new and get people to commit/ invest, even if it is superior.

Especially on a rifle that you can't just swap the barrel out.

elmo123

Bearcat
Didn't they come out with a 17 caliber rimfire that flopped? This one will suffer the same fate.

Thirty years ago my FIL loved the 5mm magnum but when he couldn't find ammo it was moved on down the road.

Johnnu2

Hunter
Correctamundo my brovva....
p.s. I was just joshing you..... I did know the full name.... :rolleyes:
J.

bigbillyboy

Buckeye
Have to agree with some of you . They don't keep up with supply on these new cartridges . Try finding 17 Win. Super mag , next to impossible . If you get a new gun chambered in these ,buy a lifetime supply of ammo on day one .