DISAPPOINTED W/"NEW" 1022 Trigger Assembly

Help Support Ruger Forum:

XUSNORDIE

Single-Sixer
While working on another gun project (PSA Dagger builds), I was rummaging through my parts bins and came across a ton of old factory 1022 parts I had stripped off and replaced in the past. I took inventory, and found all I needed was a receiver and a stripped trigger assembly and I's have a complete standard 1022 carbine. I found a new complete trigger assembly from a shop that took them off factory rifles to build their custom rigs. Price of $39.99 I figured why not.

I received it a couple days ago but didn't unwrap it until today. JUNK! It's almost entirely plastic.....the trigger is cheap plastic and grooved. Yuck. The mag release is semi extended. Yuck. Hammer has been redesigned. Yuck. I figured I would just replace most everything with the older parts, but only the trigger is now interchangeable. YUCK. At least the trigger will be metal and smooth.

I haven't bought a new 1022 in quite some time. Haven't needed to. But with all the parts I came across thought it be nice to put a standard carbine together for the heck of it......when did this redesigned plastic blasphemy come about?

RSIno1

Hunter
The new 10/22 is an example of American manufacturing progress. The original was made to last a lifetime with quality materials. The bean counters have cheapened every part and while they still may last a lifetime I prefer the metal barrel band, butt plate, trigger housing, etc. They have even cheapend the stock with plastic and low quality wood and in some cases dyed plywood. I don't need to mention that the anodized finish has been replaced with paint that definitely won't last a lifetime.

RSIno1

Hunter
2008 😕. The stainless models could still be found using metal alloy groups for a couple years after.
It's an interesting date in Ruger history. Bill Jr was CEO until 2008 and I consider after that that to be the time the bean counters got complete control. Today Black Rock and Vanguard own nearly 30%. My rule of thumb is not to buy any Ruger made after 2002 - when Bill Sr died.

FWIW,

About 15 years ago, or so- that sounds about right. Time flies! 😂

FWIW, I remember when the polymer trigger groups came out, and lots of folks (including me) were indignant. If memory serves me, Brimstone Gunsmithing (10/22 customization shop) had a notation on their site that not only did they perform their work on the "new" polymer trigger groups, but they were getting better results with them! 🤭

I'd hate to misquote anyone, but I'm quite certain that's where I read it. It just struck me as interesting. Anyone else remember that?

I have no experience with the 'new' Ruger fire control mechanism. During the last couple years I was in the FFL business, there was a buying spree of anything of the AR nature. In my shop I had 5-6 AR lower receivers that were carbon fiber/polymer except for springs and pins. Trigger, hammer, and disconnector were 'plastic'. The buyer of one commented that he intended to use it as a "bullet hose" and I still have one of these. Never had an issue with any of them as long as domestic factory loads were used. I was concerned that the sear surfaces would wear or deform causing unexpected discharge but that hasn't happened to my knowledge.
Considering the expected use of most 10-22 rifles, polymer parts shouldn't be any problem. And oh BTW, I have a 100% functional Remington Nylon 66 that's fired a gazillion rounds(or however many it takes to actually wear out a 22 rimfire bore) and whatever polymer parts were used are still working.

Johnnu2

Hunter
Some young fella told me that he has an Audi SUV and a VW (IIRC) and they both have plastic oil PANS and plastic oil plugs/bolts (I believe he said that the plugs/bolts are supposed to be replaced each oil change (?) ).
J.

XUSNORDIE

Single-Sixer
I sourced older stripped trigger guards and receivers but folks wanted insane prices. So i just sucked it up and swapped out the grooved plastic trigger with a smooth trigger I had. Ended up ordering a Brownell's stripped receiver. Since it won't be what I set out for it to be I ordered a Hogue stock. So much for the original standard carbine resurrection. Will be another nice rifle to tag along on longer farm walks when I'm up to it I guess.

Wish I still had one in the condition I bought it.

Some young fella told me that he has an Audi SUV and a VW (IIRC) and they both have plastic oil PANS and plastic oil plugs/bolts (I believe he said that the plugs/bolts are supposed to be replaced each oil change (?) ).
J.
even big trucks> 18 wheelers/semi " < don't have metal oil pans any more , they've been some kind of plastic/fiber for at least 6 or 7 years now

Chief

Single-Sixer
I sourced older stripped trigger guards and receivers but folks wanted insane prices. So i just sucked it up and swapped out the grooved plastic trigger with a smooth trigger I had. Ended up ordering a Brownell's stripped receiver. Since it won't be what I set out for it to be I ordered a Hogue stock. So much for the original standard carbine resurrection. Will be another nice rifle to tag along on longer farm walks when I'm up to it I guess.

Wish I still had one in the condition I bought it.
I never really cared for the standard carbine. It has poor sights, an ill fitting stock. It does however function pretty well. I could have mounted a scope on it and swapped out the stock but I just didn't like the little thing enough to spend the dough. I discovered mine at the back of the safe and gave it to my son in law. He doesn't seem to shoot it much either. I broke down on ast year and bought the LVT model that I stumbled on at the LGS, and it is a completely different breed of cat. I love this gun. It could use a nicer trigger and it will get one soon.

XUSNORDIE

Single-Sixer
I liked the looks of the standard in factory form. But honestly the few 1022s I owned I never used them as purchased. They were taken apart and rebuilt with various bells & whistles. Only one I kept was for the RFC 10 Bull shoots. Just thought it would be neat to resurrect one from the various parts without spending much.....that went out the window....lol.

hittman

Staff member
As much as I like a nice 10/22 lets face it, things like the Marlin 60 and Nylon 66 are ( to me ) better fit and finish and easier to load and hold more rounds, etc,

Hope Ruger brings back the 60!

... If memory serves me, Brimstone Gunsmithing (10/22 customization shop) had a notation on their site that not only did they perform their work on the "new" polymer trigger groups, but they were getting better results with them! 🤭

That reminds me of a conversation I had with an experienced gunsmith, a few years ago. He advised me that he didn't mind doing action work on newer Smith & Wesson revolvers, even though S&W had started using MIM internal parts. He said he was getting better results with less work than he did on their 'traditional' revolvers. Surprised the heck out of me, because he was an "old school" gunsmith (he retired in 2021).

As always FWIW, YMMV, don't blame the messenger, etc., etc.
:)

BULL'S-EYE

Blackhawk
I never really cared for the standard carbine. It has poor sights, an ill fitting stock. It does however function pretty well. I could have mounted a scope on it and swapped out the stock but I just didn't like the little thing enough to spend the dough. I discovered mine at the back of the safe and gave it to my son in law. He doesn't seem to shoot it much either. I broke down on ast year and bought the LVT model that I stumbled on at the LGS, and it is a completely different breed of cat. I love this gun. It could use a nicer trigger and it will get one soon.
I love mine too! & a $62 BX trigger off of eBay shrunk my groups considerably...

20230529_191223.jpg

Brimstone Gunsmithing (10/22 customization shop) had a notation on their site that not only did they perform their work on the "new" polymer trigger groups, but they were getting better results with them!
Brimstone surfaces in discussions occasionally. They had some difficulties, were on and off then on, but today I don't know if they even remain in business.

Where I am going here... I've only owned one Brimstone trigger group. And it came on a used 10/22 Target I used to own. This particular trigger was quite poor. I keep a supply of high end trigger groups, so swapping this one out was no big deal. But the point is, folks have had great success with Brimstone, and I did not. There seems to be a pig occasionally, in every product we can buy.

As a regular user of 10/22's, I nearly always swap the trigger group for a better one. And although the BX trigger is not as good as my Volquartsen's, it is still far superior than most of my newer factory standard triggers as supplied on 10/22's by Ruger. I have found myself bypassing the really good trigger groups and going straight for the BX as a replacement.

XUSNORDIE

Single-Sixer
As much as I like a nice 10/22 lets face it, things like the Marlin 60 and Nylon 66 are ( to me ) better fit and finish and easier to load and hold more rounds, etc,

Hope Ruger brings back the 60!
I love my Glenfield 75C (basically a Marlin carbine version of the 60). But parts are scarce and pricey....and they are not as easy to tinker with as the 1022 is.

I would love to see Ruger bring back the 60 as well.....but would hate to see the asking price they will slap on it if they do.

Latest posts