New to the forum and have a ? about a Police Service Six

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Dave45

Bearcat
I stumbled across a Ruger snubnose the other day that is different than any other I have seen. It's a hammerless stainless Police Service Six 357 mag with a 2" barrel. The grip frame is the shortest I've seen with a hammered back strap. I removed the grip panels and upon inspection the grip frame has not been cut and grip panels have a serial number and the year 1977 wrote on the back. the serial # for the pistol is inside the yoke and when I checked the man date it confirms it was made in 1977. My question is: Is this a special order or custom made revolver through Ruger Arms? Any info will be appreciated.
Thanks,
David

hittman

Staff member
Custom job and not by Ruger.

The s/n is stamped on the bottom of the grip frame at the factory ..... the part someone cut off the gun. I'd be curious to see pics without the grips on it.

Ruger made those in 2.75" or 4".

Wonder if there are legal issues with the s/n being moved or altered?

NewportNewsMike

Single-Sixer
hittman said:
....Wonder if there are legal issues with the s/n being moved or altered?....

Although I cannot put my hands on the actual BATF regulation at the moment, my memory says that it is possible to re-locate a serial number due to custom gunsmithing. As with any thing BATF, there is a proper procedure to be followed and various forms to be submitted.

Along this line, I seem to remember that the re-located number can be the same as the one that the gun left the factory with, or, with the proper BATF paperwork, a new custom serial number.

Perhaps someone will be along shortly to provide us with all the correct BATF info.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
As in 1977, it takes a type 07 FFL to "move" a serial number. (Police Dept. Armorers are not exempt, as one dimwit tried to argue once).
Home-brew job fer sure, but some Speed Six guns were shipped with factory-bobbed hammers... Mighty small grip for 357 Magnum loads!

Terry T

Buckeye
Would like to see a photo of the grip frame up close and without the grip panels.
Ruger used a lost wax casting process to make their frames. Not entirely impossible that an employee did a 'lunch box' special, but improbable. There should be no joints in the grip since it was cast as a unit with the rest of the frame.
A really good gunsmith might be able to hide his weld joints.
It appears that the barrel was shortened as well.
I'm guessing post manufacture custom gun smithing but a letter from Ruger might shed some light. When it comes to Ruger, I've learned to never say 'never'.
Terry T

silverback

Blackhawk
look at the piece of the back strap near the top of the frame. it looks like it was added on and slightly wider than stock. I am assuming it would help with managing recoil. yeah frame does look like it has been shortened a bit and barrel for sure. I wander if the stippling is silver solder added to the frame or a continuation of the top of the back strap piece welded to the stock frame. interesting. further pics without grip panels would be nice.