New to Single Six - got OM on a whim

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Well
Here are 4 different types of Mag onlys.
One type 700 produced another type 1800 produced the other 2 types many thousand produced. So get the serial # and the RENE to know what ya have :D :D Ya never know. 3 of these have the 22 LR cylinder.
The only cylinders that Ruger has are for New Models. Yes they will fit. Will they sell one don't know. Ones on Gunbroker go for around $75.
Get the overall length befor you buy. If to long you can get it to fit. MOST are drop ins
Jim
173-1.jpg

chet15

Hawkeye
flatgate":w7zuno0w said:
Your Ruger may have the .22 mag. bore size and may not shoot Long Rifles all that well.....

flatgate

All .22 Mag. barrels will be the same...there weren't two different spec sizes for the .22 Mag barrel. I guess some may believe the .22 LR shoots poorly out of Rugers .224" groove dia. barrel, but Ruger's made well over 2 million of them since their Mag. offering came out.
Chet15

Orangeusa

Bearcat
Thanks for the input. Was kinda wondering about the barrel issue ......

As an aside, hadn't realized how fantastic looking these SS really are until I saw this one for sale. Maybe a smaller handgun than most, but asthetically outstanding.

SO, where's Dawson, Iowa? ( I'm a former Hawkeye from near Fort Dodge ).
PM me so we can reminisce about corn, soybeans, tornados and humidity!!! :) hahaha

chet15

Hawkeye
Orangeusa":2u9u79x1 said:
Thanks for the input. Was kinda wondering about the barrel issue ......

As an aside, hadn't realized how fantastic looking these SS really are until I saw this one for sale. Maybe a smaller handgun than most, but asthetically outstanding.

SO, where's Dawson, Iowa? ( I'm a former Hawkeye from near Fort Dodge ).
PM me so we can reminisce about corn, soybeans, tornados and humidity!!! :) hahaha

PM sent!

Orangeusa

Bearcat
Hondo44":2lwtyj96 said:
Very nice SS and very nice buy. I think it's probably been established that your gun is a 22 Mag only gun. Lot's a good advice so far, but one more thing to check when you get it: on the front face of the cylinder should be a hand engraved serial number (or last three digits) that will match the serial number of the gun if it's the original cylinder.

I looked all over the cylinder, couldn't find any numbers. Bottom line the grips are in excellent shape, but some fool had been fanning the gun - some dimples where the firing pin hit the cylinder. Plus has wear on one side like it sat metal on metal. But it cleaned up real nice. A little gun oil does wonders!!! :)

I think flatgate answered that on this thread - started after this gun was made. http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=68960

Overall, I'm very happy with it, and will shoot it soon.... So yeah, it's a shooter, not a collector's item. Which is fine with me!!! :)

Small world - one of my best friends has the SAME pistol 6 1/2" SS magnum only, but has wood grips. He bought it when he was a kid for $100!!! :) And says it's his favorite gun for plinking stuff / targets in the desert (where it's allowed!!!). Will have to figure out what year his is..

I think this one was the first year for the 6 1/2" and 9 1/2" barrel.... (1959).

Orangeusa

Bearcat
Shot 150 mag rounds through it today... Shoots real fine!!!
Used a few targets - on one target - put about 75 rounds through it and never went outside the 2" ring (only 7 yards, but still getting used to it).

Without a doubt, my most accurate pistol.

Guys next to me blasting all over and kept looking at the target (3 guys in one lane and probably had 12 pistols in several cases). They were missing paper at 7 yards. But you can't compare yourself to the guys at the range. 5% are REALLY good, and 95% are awful...

NO TRIGGER BAR MOD FOR ME!!! Was very comfortable with the pistol the whole time. Just wish I could load 6 at a time and eject 6 at a time.

Love the 22 mags too - never shot them before today. But they ARE FUN!!!!

FWIW, ya might want to hang onto those Ajax "pearl" grip panels.

Ajax closed their doors a few days ago, so there might, maybe, perhaps be a little "collector interest" develop. Maybe.

;)

Richbaker

Blackhawk
If you are shooting, rather than carrying, it is perfectly safe to load 6.... just make sure you DON'T load 6 for carry.......

Orangeusa

Bearcat
Ale-8(1)":2uh58m54 said:
FWIW, ya might want to hang onto those Ajax "pearl" grip panels.

Ajax closed their doors a few days ago, so there might, maybe, perhaps be a little "collector interest" develop. Maybe.

;)

The pearls are on Dustermans guns... I've got the black "rubber" ones...

Gotta take it to a smith. A previous owner must have been a big fan of FANNING!!! Firing pin hits MUSHED the cylinder so two bullets are HARD to put in and shells for them almost IMPOSSIBLE to get out (after shooting)..

Now to get a 22lr cylinder - and onto another thread..

You guys are GREAT!!! :) :) :) :) And so is the gun.

Dusterman

Single-Sixer
Well Orangeusa I,m sorry to tell you your hooked and soon will be buying more Single Sixes. How do I know because in the last month and a half I,ve picked up three of them 2 reasons why, 1 their fun to shoot :D 2 I got them for a good price just like you did. So now when you visit your local GS you will be looking to see if they have a OM or early NM convertible to add to your Ruger family :D enjoy, Dusterman

keen one

Bearcat
Welcome to the single six ownership.
I got one in January.
A call to Ruger can tell you exactly what was included when the piece left their care.
I collected a few cylinders over the past few months. Quite available if you shop.
The conversion is something I would not do. It adds a transfer bar and looses the smooth Colt operation.

Orangeusa

Bearcat
I was taking pictures of the thing for RCA and it just looks AWFUL!!!

Got a 22lr cylinder coming, and a 22mag cylinder to replace the gross one that came on the gun.

Then - more rounds down the pipe, without a concern!!! :)
It's a shooter, and makes all the other guns it's age worth more money, cause it's not in NEAR the shape the dude posted in the SALE picture.

Learned something - make the picture ultra dark, and no-one can see the scratches, lack of blueing!!!

I don't care - it's fun!! And since it's in rough shape, have to buy OTHERS for the BLING factor!!! Really have been eyeing the new GKNR-6 - fixed site stainless. So sweet. Wonder why it's not on the Ruger website. Is it obsolete??? Or maybe another OM conversion.... :) Lotsa possibilities.
Or the 44 magnum (if I could afford the ammo) hahaha

Latest posts