New Super Blackhawk 454. mount scope?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

TheZman

Bearcat
Just bought a brand new Ruger Super blackhawk bisley 454 revolver. Was not and easy gun to get a hold of. My plan for this revolver is for hunting whitetail and black bear mostly. I wanted to mount a scope on it but there no holes drilled for that from the factory. I know i can take it to my gun smith for that. But whats the best scope rail attachment for this gun if any? Part of me is also contemplating using it open site because its such a beautiful Revolver. But then again id like to be able to shoot it out to at least 100 to 150 yards. And a scope is definitely needed for that.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
I can vouch for Weigand mounts in general. I have one of his on my GP-100 and it fit perfectly and is rock solid. Follow his guidelines as to installation and scope/ring weight as this is a very hard gun on scopes.

TheZman

Bearcat
I actually was looking at the Weigand before i posted this. Dont know if i really like the look of it. I at least wish it came in stainless. I also would worry when tightening it down in the front that it would mark and scratch up the gun. Although i could be wrong. I guess the only other option would be have the gunsmith drill and do the weaver style rail which looks a lot better. Or just use the iron sights.

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to the Forum!
Go with the Weigand. They do offer many of their mounts in silver. And if you are worried about scratches, on your stainless gun, those can be easily buffed out, IF they happen. But if you drill & tap it,,, that will never buff out.
I have a few Weigand mounts & have not been disappointed.

s4s4u

Hunter
To be honest a gunsmith is not necessary. The Weigand is an easy DIY project. The sight self centers when you install the first screw in the original rear sight hole on the gun and then you just need to punch the other two holes and tap them. You can get the drill bit and tap for about $3 each. It can be a tough decision to molest a new gun but I am glad I did mine. Resale value may be diminished somewhat, or not, depending on the potential buyer.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
TheZman said:
I guess the only other option would be have the gunsmith drill and do the weaver style rail which looks a lot better. Or just use the iron sights.
I would recommend against this. The #6x48 or even #8x40 screws used to fasten a Weaver rail to the topstrap will have a difficult time surviving the gun's fierce recoil. There is a reason the Weigand mount is as rugged and buttressed as it is. You have a choice, looks or durability. Go for durability.

Note that the Super Redhawks in .454 comes with Ruger's own rings that go into dedicated very strong dovetails in the frame. There is a reason for all of this extra machining.

s4s4u

Hunter
The #6x48 or even #8x40 screws used to fasten a Weaver rail to the topstrap will have a difficult time surviving the gun's fierce recoil.

I disagree. Those mounts have been installed on some serious custom kickers in 500 Linebaugh, 475 Linebaugh, etc. Same style of mounts have been used on Contender and Encore pistols as well in some big boomer calibers. The no drill Weigand base is built like it is as no other clamp on mount would hold fast. Even Ruger said it's ringmount system like that on the Hunter SA's wouldn't stand up.

MaxP

Buckeye
I would argue that if we are so concerned about the aesthetic appeal, we would never scope a single-action revolver. That said, Weigand's no-drill, no-tap mount for the new .454 and .480 SBH is a great sight base. I have had a prototype unit on mine for more than a year and it has delivered the goods in my humble opinion. Yeah, it's a bit bulky, but it was designed to work without drilling and tapping. Great piece as far as I am concerned.

DSC_0371.jpg

CraigC

Hawkeye
I like hunting with a scoped revolver and prefer SA's in general but like the Super Redhawk's frame mounting points over the Super Blackhawk Hunter's barrel mounting points. Been thinking real hard about building one for the purpose and having SSK install one of their T`SOB mounts and just ditch the iron sights.

mikewriter

Blackhawk
I just installed a Weigand no-drill mount on my Ruger standard. I emailed their Customer Service about which rings to use, and got a personal reply from Jack Weigand - and promptly.

To me, this kind of service is very impressive!

Mike

TheZman

Bearcat
I was on weigands website again. I could not find the mount in stainless. Does anybody have a link , picture, or own the stainless version. Thanks..

TheZman

Bearcat
Another option if i dont go with a scope is install the Hi Fiz front sight with a rear peep hole sight. It would at least make for faster target inquisition. And it might be good for 100 yards given the target is in the clear.

contender

Ruger Guru
Zman, why not send Weigand a polite email to ask if they have one in silver yet? I don't think they make any of them out of stainless. And if you look at the picture of Max's gun, his is the blued one.

I also use Hi-Viz front sights on some of my guns. I also have a rear peep on a couple. All of these things can help,,, but only you can determine which ones work the best for your applications.

I handgun hunt, & have for over 30 years. I've used open sights, (black on black,) front gold beads, orange inserts, paint on fronts, scopes & red dots. All have their place & applications. As I've aged, my eyes have not been as forgiving as other parts of my body. I find it harder to use the black on black anymore & use red dots or scopes a lot more for serious long range handgunning.

TheZman

Bearcat
daveg.inkc said:
I put weaver 301's on my Super Blackhawk and one on my .45 7.5 SS Blackhawk. Shot both yesterday
I like the look of the 301 especially in stainless.. Might even be what i go with.

daveg.inkc

Hunter
Both of mine are shot with stiff loads. And no slippage. You can even remove scope and it will return to zero. I'm impressed with these mounts

TheZman

Bearcat
daveg.inkc said:
Both of mine are shot with stiff loads. And no slippage. You can even remove scope and it will return to zero. I'm impressed with these mounts
Nice! Do you have it on a 454 as well?