New Ruger Bisley going to the range on the 4th

Help Support Ruger Forum:

45coltnut

Bearcat
Well, I'm a newbie here and I just got my second Ruger Bisley. The first is a 41 mag in 4 5/8". This one is 45 colt in 5.5"

I'm loading up some medium to hot rounds to test it out. Here's what I'll be loading for accuracy testing for my deer / hog hunting loads. Max range will be around 75 yds unless the gun just proves very easy and accurate to shoot at 100yds.

I've already worked on the trigger some and have done some major dry firing to smooth the sear out. Not a bag trigger, but I may end up having it worked on to remove some creep.

Blue Dot 12.9 grains SNS Cast Bullets 250 grain 1030 fps
2400 20 grains SNS Cast Bullets 250 grain 1200 fps
H110 25 grains SNS Cast Bullets 250 grain 1400 fps

I'll post my results after the range season.

HAPPY 4TH OF JULY.........NOW BURN SOME POWDER!!! :lol:

45coltnut

Bearcat
Ok, back from the range making things go BOOOOOM!

First, I shot my S&W 25-5 in 45colt with medium loads. Found a sweet shooting load of 15.5 grains of 2400. Gun shot a 3/4" 4 shot group at 25 yds. The top hole was caused by Mr. Meathead (me), yanking on the trigger on the last shot. I was so concerned about shooting a one hole 5 shot group that I yanked it!

This is a nice group seeing that its still pushing around 975 if I remember correctly. I was really concerned that I was not going to find a good load for this gun. It took 13 different loads to find this one. And, the other 12 were NO WHERE close to this group. Best was probably 2.5".

Then the Beast :twisted: came out to play. I'm of course talking about the Ruger Bisley. First thing I noticed today that I didn't report on yesterday, is that the darn cylinder throats are undersized. I'm not sure how much as I only did a quick test by dropping the bullets sized to .452" down them. Not even close to passing through. But, accuracy wasn't too bad. So, I have great hopes for the gun after reaming.

First, let me say that there is a BIG difference in shooting these "hotter than S&W" loads. The 2400 and H110 jumped quite abit in my hands. Of course, both loads brought a nice 4th of July smile to my face too :lol:

The 2400 shoot a nice 2" group as did the H110. I had a couple flyers on both groups due to the creep on the new trigger. But, I knew exactly when it happened.

I can go up a little more on the 2400 and I may try this to see what it does in regards to accuracy. Both loads didn't show much signs of high pressure. I think for now, I'll stay with the H110 load though. At 1400 fps, it will make an awesome hunting round. But, first I'll to send the cylinder off to cylindersmith.com for reaming.

Overall, a great way to spend the first half of the 4th of July. Those firecracker heads can't make new the noise I did this morning :mrgreen: Oh, and smoke smells so much better from handguns.

Happy shooting to you all and Happy 4th of July.

Thank a soldier for keeping our freedoms and independence safe!

Latest posts