New Ruger 25/06 with a threaded barrel

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Got a Ruger "info-mercial" email last night showing a camo finish medium weight rifle with 5/8x24 muzzle threads and a FH. If the barrel is stiff enough to support a muffler, I might be up for one of those in the future.

rugerjunkie

Buckeye
Traditionally Ruger has made 25-06 barrels on the heavy side. They were normally made with the same medium heavy taper as the 7mag , 300 win mag , and 338 win mag. There are of course other models with lighter tapers but they weren't the norm.

Im sure what they are calling a medium weight barrel taper will be plenty stout enough for you. It may be the same taper they have used for years. Id be paying more attention to barrel length since Ruger has always insisted on using too short of a barrel. Thats my take on things and my minimum is a 24" barrel for a 25-06.

I agree on the 24" length for the 25/06. The barrel on my primary is "fast" velocity wise and comes very close to the 24" Vanguard 257Wby(should have been a 26"). The 22" standard Savage 25/06 is in the 2950-3000 fps range compared to the 24" pushing 3200 both using the same ammo.
FWIW,
I hope to get some rounds through the 20" AR 10 6.5 Creedmore this fall to see how it performs. The QD for the muffler is already mounted so it's just a matter of making time to give it a test run. I'd be OK using that rifle for MO deer season. It's a bit heavy but I don't carry my rifle very far and hunt from a blind.

Nomosendero

Single-Sixer
I agree with the 24" minimum barrel. I have chronographed several 25-06 rifles in 22", 24" & mostly 26". A Marlin bolt gun with a 22" that i tested was dismal. My older brother had an old 24" M77 that was pretty fast but I prefer 26" in that caliber. I have a Sendero 26" 25-06AI that is FAST.

Nomosendero

Single-Sixer
I agree with the 24" minimum barrel. I have chronographed several 25-06 rifles in 22", 24" & mostly 26". A Marlin bolt gun with a 22" that i tested was dismal. My older brother had an old 24" M77 that was pretty fast but I prefer 26" in that caliber. I have a Sendero 26" 25-06AI that is FAST.

Moot point now. I just bought a TC Compass 6.5 C w/threaded muzzle. Maybe it will be satisfactory w/o requiring the 24-26" barrel. I did notice significantly more bullet drop @ 300 meters vs the 25/06.

ftlupton

Single-Sixer
I just bought the Ruger American 22" .243, shot it at 50 yds only this week and it is practically one hole for 3 shots. I'm and old guy and we used to have to work out tails off to get any kind of accuracy like that. These are great rifles for a fraction of the cost a custom costs. Kudos to Ruger, love this thing.

Nomosendero

Single-Sixer
Mobuck said:
Moot point now. I just bought a TC Compass 6.5 C w/threaded muzzle. Maybe it will be satisfactory w/o requiring the 24-26" barrel. I did notice significantly more bullet drop @ 300 meters vs the 25/06.

It will be OK without a 24-26" barrel. Of course it will be faster with a longer tube but not nearly as much an advantage as a round like the 25-06 for 2 reasons, less case capacity and a slightly bigger bore.

The CM is not as flat as a well loaded 25-06 at 300 meters as you state. The CM has alot of hype with it but it is a volume target round that is also a good hunting round. It does well at longer ranges when using heavier, high BC bullets and gain an edge especially in wind deflection & BC helps more in drop at longer ranges.

I have both and use both and my 25-06 (25-06AI now) kicks butt at 400 yds. and under. I also have a 264 which has both velocity and high BC but certainly not a volume round but for a strictly hunting rifle it will easily last a lifetime.

Nomosendero

Single-Sixer
ftlupton said:
I just bought the Ruger American 22" .243, shot it at 50 yds only this week and it is practically one hole for 3 shots. I'm and old guy and we used to have to work out tails off to get any kind of accuracy like that. These are great rifles for a fraction of the cost a custom costs. Kudos to Ruger, love this thing.

It is rare to see a RAR that is not accurate.