New Ruger 22/45RP.............

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Jeff Quinn

Single-Sixer
This little jewel is a real tackdriver. I love the wood grip panels. Really dresses this pistol up nicely.

Details here:
http://www.gunblast.com/Ruger-2245RP.htm

DSC09989.JPG

StanMemTn

Single-Sixer
Do the grip panels give the gun a "fuller" feel? I've not shot a 22/45 before, but had the chance to handle both a 22/45 and a Mark III target this weekend and was surprised by how thin and narrow the 22/45 felt in the hand.

-Stephen

Jeff Quinn":1atrz0gm said:
It feels just like a 1911. Still thin and points naturally.
OK is it 'just like the 1911' or is it still 'thin'? The 'thin' is what kept me from buying one. If, in fact, it was the size of my 1911 I'd think about getting it.

Jeff Quinn

Single-Sixer
Fox Mike":2ndvwbiq said:
Jeff Quinn":2ndvwbiq said:
It feels just like a 1911. Still thin and points naturally.
OK is it 'just like the 1911' or is it still 'thin'? The 'thin' is what kept me from buying one. If, in fact, it was the size of my 1911 I'd think about getting it.

Both. To my hand, the 1911 feels thin, and points very well. Hold a 1911 and a Glock 21 and you will understand what I mean.
A 1911 frame is .75 inch thick, without grips. Of course, the total grip width depends upon the grip panels that are chosen. Most 1911 wood grips bring the total to 1.25 to 1.28 inches in width, but there are thinner panels available to measure about 1.2 inches when installed upon a 1911 frame. The 22/45RP with the thin panels measures 1.20 total, but of course is thicker with thicker grips applied. That is the purpose of building the pistol with removable panels, hence the "RP" in the model designation. The grip feel can be tailored to suit the owner. As delivered, the grip thickness is within .05 of my thickest 1911 grip in my safe, and is the same overall thickness as two of them. The 22/45RP feels like a 1911.

Bootlegger

Single-Sixer
I feel the same way about the feel of the 22/45, really dont like how thin it is. When I seen the RP on Rugers web site I thought that might just be what it needs for me to get one. Cant wait to feel one in person.

tomiswho

Single-Sixer
Hey Jeff,
A bunch of us have put Volquartsen sears, extractors, and triggers on our 2245's (over on rimfirecentral) and think it makes a good pistol even better, I think much better. Many/most remove the mag safety too by using a Clark or similar (Sam Lam) hammer bushing. Have you, would you ever, run a test on such an animal? Because I got the sear from the "basement" sale, I think I put a total of $50 into my 2245. It is now (to me) fantastic. I'd love to get one of the new removable grip models and do the same thing.
Tom

Jeff Quinn

Single-Sixer
I've got a Clark trigger in my favorite mark II, and it really is sweet. However, this is a really nice trigger on the new 22/45RP. About right for field use.

oldpal

Bearcat
I picked one up ten days ago and like it very much. Replaced the hammer bushing and mag disconnect with a Clark hammer bushing. Now I intend to install a Volquartsen target sear. I think I will leave the hammer and trigger stock Ruger. It's a great pistol.

Hugh

chet15

Hawkeye
One of the individuals we know who attended the SHOT show spoke about a thicker set of .45 style grip panels for this model also. Anybody else see these at the show?
Chet15

CraigC

Hawkeye
I really like mine! I've been doing a lot of shooting with this thing and really enjoy it. However, the factory grips are still too thin (thinner than average 1911 grips) so I modified these Kimber grips to fit. They're a standard thickness and very comfortable. Now it feels like a 1911. Now that I know what I want, I've got some custom grips in ivory micarta on the way. These will not have a cutout for the mag release or the mainspring housing pin but will be bevelled at the bottom. I'll just have to round the heel and clearance around the bolt release. Got the VQ accurizing kit, MKII hammer bushing, extra magazines and some basepads on the way too.
IMG_7235b.jpg

IMG_7242b.jpg

automatic

Bearcat
I've had the older non removeable type for some years (Great Eight 8" bull barrel model) and it's a great shooter, these new ones are really tempting me. Non removeable grips were the only complaint I have ever had on the 22/45.

Retread

Bearcat
I can't understand how Ruger thought this wasn't a much needed design improvement for the 22/45. The thinner (than Mark II 22/45 grips) Mark III grip never made any sense except that some women with small hands might prefer them.

Does the 22/45 RP allow a large variety of 1911 grips to be used??? I sure hope so.

I'll almost bet that the 22/45 RP will prove to Ruger how much shooters wanted this change. If I could, I'd be out looking one up right now. And then the best smith to create the best possible action. Maybe, it'll be my next gun.

CraigC

Hawkeye
You'll pretty much be able to use any 1911 grips you want with slight alterations. You have to clearance for the bolt release and round the butt slightly to follow the contours of the frame. Takes about ten minutes with a file. The mag release cutout will be in the wrong place but it makes no functional difference. I had a set made without the mag release or mainspring housing pin cutouts and like it mucho better that way.