New Revolver GP 100

Help Support Ruger Forum:

stantheman86

Buckeye
The GP100, along with it's predecessor the DA Six series, are the best "working" revolvers in the world, period.

Only maybe the Dan Wessons and Mark III Colts can give the GP100 a competitor for raw durability and strength, but the GP100 is still the winner in these categories. The S&W equivalent, the 586-686 simply cannot match the GP100.

GP100man

Buckeye
Congatulations 3spur on your purchase of The Most Robust Productin DA revolver !!!

& WELCOME to the Ruger Forum.com !!!

I take it from ya handle your not new to revolvers ,maybe an action group of sorts ???

Many have suggested useing 38 spec. ammo & that`s fine ,but be informed that the 38 case is .135 shorter than 357 mag & will leave a crude ring in the chambers & may/will cause chambering & extraction problems , it will also raise pressures if left to build up enuff as the case can`t release the bullet as intended.

For this reason I rarely shoot 38 length cases in my 357s, I handload & use mid range loads in 357 cases.

I have`nt shot a factory round (other than 22s) in many years , but I feel practice with the WW 38 cheepys then carrying a quality +p 38 for HD/SD is as good as any.

Also want to mention grips , I despise the new Hogues they`re just too stiky & clunky feelin for me I much prefer the Lett panel grips , either full sized or compact!!

These 2 are home to stay !!

102_0333.jpg

plstu

Bearcat
I LOVE my GP100 and it almost always come with me when I shoot. The only thing I don't really care for on it is the sights. The all black rear with the all black front can make it difficult to pick up a black bullseye. Other than that, I like it as much as my Smiths.

DPris

Buckeye
Newer one here came with a white outline rear blade, I ordered the red insert front blade from Ruger, swapped 'em in a hurry, works great.
I can't handle black on black anymore very well at all in regular use.

You CAN obtain a white outline rear & replace your older black one.
Denis

roaddog28

Single-Sixer
Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new GP100. I just bought a new 4 inch stainless steel one about a month ago. Actually the double action trigger is good. Not quite as good as a S&W but more than serviceable.
Any good quality 38 special round will worth fine with your GP100.
My favorite round is the CCI blazer 158 gr 357 magnum hollow point. I shoot a lot of them at the range. Your GP100 will handle the recoil and you should be able to control it with practice.
Good luck,
Howard

stantheman86

Buckeye
Not a single one of my numerous adjustable sight GP100's still has the stock front sight on it. I can't stand it at all. The Super Redhawk red insert blade is my favorite choice, and one of my older 4" GP's has a Redhawk blade.

I also like the Meprolight sights and the XS big and small dots.

I'm personally not a huge fan of fiber optics but I do have a Marble's orange front sight that works pretty well, along with a Hi-Viz.