New OM cased Super

Help Support Ruger Forum:

zonk

Bearcat
My first cased Super. got a good deal, but it has some issues.
The case has a few handling marks but nothing major, all hardware is clean.
The gun appears unfired, but does have some surface rust on the barrel, erh, and cylinder. Seems to be very shallow, just on the surface. The grip frame and loading gate are perfect/slightly plum color... Not a mark on the grips.
My question is, would you refinish, or leave as is. My thought, is to have the barrel/receiver, and cylinder reblued, and leave the grip frame plum. Or, leave it as is. Any thoughts? Because of the issues, I got it for a deal (I think)... Not the best at taking pics, but it does appear to be the bright blue..

Thanks,
Gary

DSCF0085_zpsdd6763cd.jpg

DSCF0079_zpsed69776e.jpg

DSCF0078_zps120deb20.jpg

DSCF0077_zps1b33ba68.jpg

flatgate

Hawkeye
What's the s/n? The image is, on my screen, too blurry to tell...........

Too bad about the rust. It's a classic case of storing the gun in its' box w/o condensation protection.
Have it professionally restored or simply call it a shooter.......

JMHO,

flatgate

flatgate

Hawkeye
I'd consider having Ruger do the work. I'd have to see it up close and then visit with the Factory and see if they'd tackle a job like that. It's obvious it's not a "quick polish then toss the parts into the bluing tank". I've had Ruger "restore" some unsightly specimens but nuttin' like that...........

357690092.jpg

This Super was "restored" at the Factory. I was very pleased with the results........

JMHO,

flatgate

zonk

Bearcat
sn: 4425

Would ruger take just parts to reblue, or do they need the whole gun, and I uncovert it when I get it back?

Also, do you guys store these outside of the case, to keep this from happening?

zonk

Bearcat
I also have a good shop locally that does reblues, and I've had and seen some excellent work come out of there

A consideration would be that the "works" would be replaced with the "safety upgrade" components.

The original parts are (usually) returned by Ruger, but they would not be refinished . . . unless you could arrange for that to occur prior to sending the gun to them . . . something I'd surely want in writing.

Just a thought.

Can't tell from the pics, but if the hammer and trigger don't need refinishing, I'd remove them prior to sending the gun to The facrory. Might do that anyway.

street

Hunter
A word to the wise!!! About 15 years ago I was in the processing of moving. I moved in with my Daughter and Son-in law. It took about 9 months to find a contractor and to get my new house built. I had to store my Rugers at my Daughters for that amount of time. So I had 5 or 6 Super Blackhawks with the Mahogany Cases that I put a good coating of vaseline and wrapped the guns up good in wax paper and stored them in the Factory Case. I knew that you shouldn't store the guns in the case but I thought that with the vaseline and wax paper to protect it from the case that it should be OK. Wrong! Wrong! Wrong! All of those Supers had a coating of rust on them when I unpacked them. All of the other guns were fine, Just those guns stored in the Mahagany Cases were rusted.

Here is my warning!!! NEVER STORE SUPER BLACKHAWKS IN THEIR MAHOGANY CASES, NEVER! NEVER! NEVER!!!

radicalrod

Hunter
Hey David, is that the same "VASELINE" used when I bought them :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sorry I couldn't pass that one up :wink: :wink: :wink: I think I got a very fair deal...RR.

Get it redone....why own an ugly gun.....

No "vaseline" in that case, the Radical One got one hell of a deal!!

as for the OP and his question (quest) you say a few "parts"?? well those are basically the whole gun!! besides, the Supers were polished ( prepped) as a unit, the grip frame AND cylinder frame as "one"...nature of the beast and how it is "correctly and properly" done................the pictures hsow the typical end result of improper storage, and those "spots" ( speckles) are into the guns finish abnd only a proper buff , polish, prep will do the job RIGHT....as well as to bring it back to its older, original finish....the bluing today from the factory, the gun will be more of a black , than a "blue" finish................

Doc4429

Single-Sixer
I sent a Super Blackhawk (with issues similar to yours) back to Ruger for refinishing over ten years ago. The factory did a fine job, but the grip frame came out plum. I suspect your revolver will turn out similarly. A company like Ford's Custom Gun Refinishing in Crystal River, FL may do a better job, but they probably are much more expensive also.

Bill

westerville

Buckeye
Congrats on your first cased Super. It appears from the pictures the hardware on the case appears to be nickel. Can you confirm if they are nickel or brass? Hard to pass up cased Supers.

zonk

Bearcat
Case hardware is brass. I'm a better handgun shot, than photographer...

Ruger website says $130 for reblue. I assume that's current, and that they will charge extra for the additional buffing/polishing. I'll call them tomorrow for details, time estimate, etc... Do you usually send the grips with the gun? I really like these, and don't want to lose them. Is it possible to pick up some conversion parts, and put them in before sending it in. I don't want to chance losing the original parts. I know I've seen them for sale here before.

Ale-8, are you saying, remove the parts, and send the gun in without them? I assume they will put conversion parts and send back??? The trigger and hammer look fine, no pitting/no refinish needed.

Thanks to all for the comments/advice.

Gary

never send ANY grips or the original box,packaging in for service or refinish, they will even tell you ( at least they USED to) not to send that stuff,,,,as for the Lockwork, me I'd leave it be, I have known NO ONE that we know that did NOT get their "old parts" back, in the small plastic bag,,,,have "heard" tales but not seen that happen, yet.............IF you want to, need to, then by all means take out the old lockwork,they will fit and safety update the gun anyway, that part is "free"....
as for the frame turning 'plum', if it turned in the first place, then most likely it will turn plum again, maybe not right away, but they do, its in the casting "batch" (mix)
Good luck

street

Hunter
radicalrod said:
Hey David, is that the same "VASELINE" used when I bought them :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sorry I couldn't pass that one up :wink: :wink: :wink: I think I got a very fair deal...RR.

Get it redone....why own an ugly gun.....
Yes RR! I'm just like Bill Ruger!!! No need to waste good Vaseline! :lol: :lol: :lol: Yes you got those guns for just a little over what the cases were worth.

flattop44

Buckeye
Zonk, I do love those early Supers. A suggestion regarding refinish/restore, contact "Rugerguy", he may be able to help in that area. He has done some fantastic prep work on guns in worse shape that yours and has contacts that then do the bluing.

Bill

flatgate

Hawkeye
Yes, as Ale has stated, strip out the lockwork. Remove the grips. I'd keep the mainspring parts, too. Ruger will charge you for new parts but I'd sleep better if I knew I had "my parts". Like the pic I posted; I've seen Ruger do some very nice work. I've also heard some "horror stories" but, in my experience, things have been just fine.

flatgate