New lcr

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jpb in me

Single-Sixer
Sold my Glock and went back to having an LCR again. Good to be back here again. Got it in the 38+p. question is will it handle anything I put in it? What have you guys found to be the ideal load for SD purposes.
Thanks

Cyclepath78

Bearcat
I was recommended Hornady Critical Defense .38 +P by my shop. There are great YouTube videos available testing this and many other ammunitions done with ballistic gel to show expansion and penetration. Look for a YouTube channel "tnoutdoors9", he is very thorough.

JBL13

Bearcat
I carry 135-grain Speer Gold Dot Short Barrel rounds in my .38 LCR. This round was developed by Speer at the request of the NYPD 8-10 years ago, and it has a solid record against perps.

Beyond that, your LCR should handle any factory-spec .38 Special or .38 Special +P round.

Tslepebull

Single-Sixer
I carry the FBI load. It is the Remington 158 gr SWCHP +P. A little old fashioned but with a proven history. The added advantage is that .38 specials are regulated for a 158 gr slug.

Keltyke

Bearcat
My pocket around the yard/shop LCR holds Speer Gold Dot 135 gr. +p JHPs. It's rated for +p and should handle any commercial ammo out there.