New Holster for my Ruger Talo & a couple of knife sheath

Help Support Ruger Forum:

countryboy

Single-Sixer
I took last week off for vacation and was finally able to make my self some gear. I still have several handguns with no holsters though. Anyway, I thought I'd post some pics.

Here is a picture of the western style holster I made for my Ruger Vaquero 45 acp.
It's nothin fancy but its not meant to be and think it will serve me well. I do plan on using it a good bit but more for casual concealment around the house, family functions or a walk on the back roads etc.

As for the Ruger, it is becoming one of my favorite revolvers. It is compact, accurate, well balanced and feels good in the hand. It also handles the 45 acp round very well.

2lue7lu.jpg

25ur221.jpg

I also made myself a couple of bushcraft style knife sheaths. These are dangler style sheaths but they also have a tunnel loop for standard belt carry as well. The dangler strap attaches to the belt using a pull the dot snap but the strap can be removed from the sheath via chicago screw if desired.

I learned this from a local knife maker and thought I'd pass it on.
On most of my personal sheaths I don't burnish the edge but instead I apply Veritas green honing compound. It only cost a few bucks and comes in a big stick similar to a crayon. One stick will probably last a life time. With the edge not being burnished it allows the leather fibers to hold the compound better. Basically you just rub it on the edge of the sheath and it will last quite a while. This is a great way to help keep the edge of your knife sharp while in the field without carrying extra gear. I also use it on a homemade strop for my knives and leather working tools. This compound has fine microns so with a really dull knife you may be there a while but it's best not to let your knife get dull to start with. I usually just strop my knife on the edge of the sheath after each use and it's good to go. It will keep a nice keen edge on your knife.
If you have a leather sheath with a burnished edge, you can simply rough it up with a little sandpaper.

Hera are some pictures.

2eg7go2.jpg

8yi5xd.jpg

Veritas green honing compound.
rk4i90.jpg

jeffnles1

Blackhawk
Nice work.

I've tried to work with leather before but it never turned out good.

Love the knife sheaths.

Jeff