New Garand-type sight for my Mini Ranch Rifle?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Doc Mark

Single-Sixer
Greetings, All,

I bought my stainless steel Mini-14 Ranch Rifle back in the late 1980's-early 1990's, and use only Ruger made magazines in it. Whilst shooting it in DCM matches, I noted that it needed a higher rear sight, and so replace the OEM leaf, with one I made at the shop, with a smaller aperture and ability to raise POA to 100 yards and beyond. My wife actually won a DCM match, shooting this little Ranch Rifle!!

In any case, for some time, I've wanted to replace that folding rear sight with one that's more like a Garand-type sight, as Ruger uses on the regular Mini-14 carbine. Is there a well-made and robust replacement sight available for my Ranch Rifle? Any suggestions, or comments, would be much appreciated. Thanks, very much, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc

eveled

Hawkeye
I modified m1 carbine sights for my mini-14's. I' m happy with the results.

DGW1949

Hunter
eveled said:
I modified m1 carbine sights for my mini-14's. I' m happy with the results.

I've done the same.....perty-much the cat's me-yow as far as I'm concerned.

DGW

P89DC

Single-Sixer
I didn't buy one yet but it get great internet reviews:

http://www.tech-sights.com/mini14.htm

here's another one (scroll down the page)

http://www.ruger-mini-14-firearms.com/mini_14_30_accessories.php

Doc Mark

Single-Sixer
Good Morning, Gentlemen, and Ladies,

Thanks, very much, for your kind replies to my question about new sights for my Ranch Rifle. I've checked out the available .30 Carbine sights, and there seem to be many different ones. Without any idea of which one will work, I'm a somewhat loathe to spring for one of those. I do like the new sights being offered by the companies in the links that were sent. One appears to be out of stock, at this time, but the other looks ready to ship. I'll do some more reading, and see how this turns out. I am hoping that no milling will have to be done on my Mini-14, and that this installation will be a "drop-in", if possible. Thanks for the great info, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc

eveled

Hawkeye
http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=228831

Here is the thread I started when I was thinking about mine. DGW was a big help at the time. I agree with him it turned out great.
As far as the different sights for the m1 carbine you just have to get one of the heavy milled ones as opposed to the stamped and bent ones. I got mine from kensights. 20 minutes with a dremel and it was done.

I ended up doing all the grinding on the sight base and left the Ruger clamp alone.

Doc Mark

Single-Sixer
Good Morning, eveled,

WOW!! Just the sort of information I was seeking! Many thanks for sharing it with me, and thanks to DGW for all help he has shared, too!!! I'll be checking out the Kensight version of the M1 sight, and also the one offered as a "drop-in". Wonderful options, and much appreciated!! Thanks, again, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc

eveled

Hawkeye
Glad to help Doc, I went back and edited the original thread with my method. Good luck. Pm any questions.

Danny

Single-Sixer
Ruger made a lot of them right from the factory equipped with sights like that.

Danny

fremont

Bearcat
I put this on mine, which is similar in age to the OP's. Not Garand but serves my purposes for a peep.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/310422/williams-wgrs-mini-14-30-guide-receiver-peep-sight-ruger-mini-14-ranch-rifle-and-mini-30-aluminum-black

Doc Mark

Single-Sixer
Greetings, All,

Just thought I'd post an update as to how all this turned out, for me. I ended up getting a replacement sight from Accuracy Systems, which fits my Mini14 RR perfectly, and is FAR superior to the OEM Ruger sight in all respects. After talking to the owner of AS on the phone, I decided to go with their M1 Carbine sight, and have to say, I LOVE it!!! Robust, nicely designed, and easy to adjust, I could not have made a better choice!!

Thanks to one and all for your suggestions, and for those seeking a better sight for the Mini 14's, I strongly suggest you give Accuracy Systems a try. Pretty sure you will be as happy as I am, if you order one of their sights. They have a couple of different versions, and all of them look great. Here's a link:

http://www.ruger-mini-14-firearms.com/mini_14_30_accessories.php

Scroll down to around half way down their page, to find the replacement sights. Again, I chose their M1 Carbine type sight, for my Mini RR, and it was easy to install, and exceedingly satisfactory in every single way!!! Good price, too, especially for what you are getting. Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc