New car toy...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

My current car toy, a 2002 Ford Lightning, just doesn't get driven enough. Too pristine to take out with a hint of rain in the forecast. I needed something more sensitive to my needs. So, I decided to sell my Lightning and pick up a nice 5.0 older Mustang. I found a 1994 Mustang SVT Cobra with just a touch over 50k miles. The price was right at $6k and it is an all original car garaged for it's entire life of 22 years. I will miss the awesome power and beauty of the Lightning, but I will drive the Mustang more. :D

Out with the old.....

In with the new...

Dave :D

mhblaw

Blackhawk
My son has a '96 SVT Cobra that he recently installed a supercharger on. It was scary quick before and now I don't want to drive it!

WendyZXZ said:
That is a great looking Mustang and in my favorite car color!

Yes Wendy, "ticket me red" is my favorite color as well. :D Tan/black leather interior and 5-speed of course...... Still kind of a dog after driving the Lightning....... BUT, I will add some performance enhancements and lower the suspension a touch. Will present pics of the upcoming mods later. 8)

Dave :wink:

tinman

Buckeye
Lets see.....you had a truck (sorta) but didn't drive it in the rain......do you happen to own a Harley? :lol:

bigfuzzy

Bearcat
you should have kept them both if possible. I own a black 93 lightning & a white 94 mustang gt. like them both for different reasons

Cholo

Staff member
Look like a really nice ride, Dave! I have a laser red '96 SVT Cobra I bought new and it still doesn't have a ding on it. I recently retired and need the garage space, so it's soon to be off to someone who will actually drive it :)

gtxmonte

Buckeye
Not sure why people have these nice cars and don't drive them. How is a car "too nice" to drive...........LOL!!!

Was recently in Toronto visiting a friend of mine who has a huge car collection. We went downtown and took two cars. A 32 Ford roadster with a blown flathead and a 66 model, all original, low mileage big block Vette. Beat the snot out of them all night...........LOL!!! Got back to his house and then took a spin in his GT-40. He doesn't own anything he doesn't drive and drive hard. I feel the same way

tinman said:
Lets see.....you had a truck (sorta) but didn't drive it in the rain......do you happen to own a Harley? :lol:

No, don't own a Harley. :D I drove the Lightning only on nice days. I've had it 3 years and have put less than 1500 miles on it. I will drive the Mustang much more in varied weather conditions. Always had a car toy and this is the latest. Maybe the last.... :roll:

Dave

rugerjunkie

Buckeye
Both nice rides there Dave! You'll enjoy the Mustang. When you get around to hopping it up , it's a fairly easy "plug and play" system to work on. I had a '94 and built it into a screamer!

I ended up with 3:73's in the rear end , Lowered it just a tad and did the suspension and subframe , exhaust , larger throttle body/mass air/and intake , topped off with a 9psi Powerdyne supercharger. That's the short list of the main mods. If you do half of that you won't be saying it's a dog compared to the lighting!

After a day at the spectator drags in Union Grove , Wi. , a buddy and me made the trip home to madison late at night in our mustangs and the stretch from Milwaukee to Madison (app 70 miles) took us about 25 minutes!

Jeff

rugerjunkie said:
Both nice rides there Dave! You'll enjoy the Mustang. When you get around to hopping it up , it's a fairly easy "plug and play" system to work on. I had a '94 and built it into a screamer!

I ended up with 3:73's in the rear end , Lowered it just a tad and did the suspension and subframe , exhaust , larger throttle body/mass air/and intake , topped off with a 9psi Powerdyne supercharger. That's the short list of the main mods. If you do half of that you won't be saying it's a dog compared to the lighting!

After a day at the spectator drags in Union Grove , Wi. , a buddy and me made the trip home to madison late at night in our mustangs and the stretch from Milwaukee to Madison (app 70 miles) took us about 25 minutes!

Jeff

Well Jeff, phase one is as follows...... First is to install an SVE 1.1" lowering kit. Next a Borla cat-back 2.5" stainless exhaust with 3.5" tips. Lastly for now a BBK cold air intake. For now, I will retain the stock throttle body and headers. I don't believe I will do the super charger. Sub frame connectors in the future as well. Might do Cobra R 18" rims/tires with front to rear stagger. Should be a fun project. 8)

Dave

rugerjunkie

Buckeye
That sounds like a good start! Mine was a GT. I've been out of the game for too long now and can't remember , but the TB and mass air on the Cobra are probably what I upgraded to.

I have been thinking about another and found one not too far from home. A 2003 GT convertable , with 28,000 miles on it. Absolutely mint. Asking $13,500 which is quite a bit over book so its still sitting there.

rugerjunkie said:
That sounds like a good start! Mine was a GT. I've been out of the game for too long now and can't remember , but the TB and mass air on the Cobra are probably what I upgraded to.

I have been thinking about another and found one not too far from home. A 2003 GT convertable , with 28,000 miles on it. Absolutely mint. Asking $13,500 which is quite a bit over book so its still sitting there.

The Cobra also has the high flow GT-40 heads and bigger fuel injectors. There is also an elbow on the inlet side of the air inlet for more direct air flow to the inlet. I will show and report on the results of the mods. :D

Dave

rugerjunkie

Buckeye
Yeah , I knew the Cobra had a different intake set up but couldn't remember what the differences were off the top of my head. Don't forget to show a good old smokey burnout when you get around to it!

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
rugerjunkie said:

Hi,

Someone's gonna have to check my math, but the old calculator on the desk keeps saying you were averaging about 165 plus. For 70 miles +/-. That musta been SOME dark and lonely stretch of road...

Forget the cars that can do that, we have 'em here, too: I just wish we still had some of those pieces of road out here! ;)

Rick C