New 4" Ruger GP100 owner, first day at the range, I love it

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Joe L

Bearcat
First post, first revolver, first Ruger, first box of 38 special, first trip to the range...first day of the month...

I came across a good deal on a Ruger GP100 while in New Mexico last week and bought it. It is my one and only revolver. I was able to buy a box of 38 spec +P FMJ ammo Friday evening and was at the range at sunrise this morning.

Here is the pistol, bought used.

EE505906-M.jpg

Here are the first 6 rounds, shot DA, standing. Love the trigger pull. I can usually shoot an unfamiliar gun pretty well with just a few rounds. This one was ridiculously easy to shoot, but I have a lot of DA SIG pull experience.

EE505902-M.jpg

Here is the best of the three 6 shot groups at 25 yards standing SA. Measures 2-1/2" for 6 shots, 2" for 5. I should be able to get under 1-1/2" with a little more experience with the gun. I will have to have a slightly taller front sight to go with a target hold with non +P ammo. The rear sight is bottomed out right now.

EE505903-M.jpg

The trigger is excellent. The sights are excellent (but Ruger says they are sized for a 6 o'clock hold). I didn't have a small enough screw driver with me to correct the windage at 25 yards, however.

I need more practice. I limited myself to 50 rounds and went home.

Happy new Ruger GP100 owner,
Joe

eveled

Hawkeye
Nice gun, you will love it more and more each time you shoot it. I have its brother but with fixed sights. It is one of my favorites.

What Sigs do you have? I have a P250c .45acp, I bought it because it shoots so much like a double action revolver. Ed

Joe L

Bearcat
The SIG's I have include an X-5 AllRound 9mm, one all stainless P-226 normal size 9mm, two alloy frame 9mm P-226's, and a P-239. I shoot the all stainless P-226 in IDPA and use one alloy gun as a backup. I do all my own trigger/action work on the standard size SIG's, the X-5 has been to GrayGuns but I like the 4.4" barrel guns a little better.

I also have a CZ-75B and I shoot it mostly with the Kadet 22 conversion slide on it.

I have a lot to learn about revolvers. That was the idea.

Joe

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
GP-100 was my first revolver also. Great gun, rugged, durable, user friendly and a ball to shoot. Congratulations.
Now look-out for that single-action bug. If you come here often enough you just might catch it also.

Be sure to check-out the Ruger websight and the Tech Tips videos http://ruger.com/resources/videos.html

PO2Hammer

Single-Sixer
Congrats on the new revolver, nice shooting too!

I was out shooting mine today with some .38 spl handloads.
My groups at 25 yds weren't as tight as yours, but I was hitting the paper plates at 50 yards more often than not.

I loves me a good Sig too. I've had several and have always been happy with them. I'm thinking of a P229 9mm as my next buy.

chefrob1

Single-Sixer
great looking gun........been wanting one for a while...........congrats!

Swampbilly

Single-Sixer
You chose well...handsome revolver...seems well taken care of. Welcome to the world of Ruger firearms.

wing nut

Bearcat
Ah a new recruit to the world of revolvers. That is a great pistol, could not have chosen one better, rugged, user friendly, and a beauty! I have given up on almost all semi autos and am a 95% revolver man. I even shoot single actions, never thought they could be so much fun, they are my main stays now. That 4" barrel is the perfect length on a double action/ full frame as far as I'm concerned.

Great revolver (just like mine). Check out the "Gun Digest Book of the Revolver" by Grant Cunningham. Everything you want to know about carrying and operating wheel guns, with lots of examples centered around the GP100. Not a gunsmithing book. Available from Amazon, and I'm sure other sources.

Also check out a Ruger popper made by GP100man on this forum. It's a great basic takedown tool and well worth the small investment. http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=75884

Joe L

Bearcat
Thanks everyone for the warm welcome, and for the suggestions on the books and tools. Will get to shoot the GP100 again next weekend, I hope.

Joe

Joe L

Bearcat
Just got back from an all week business trip on Thursday, Wolff and Safariland parts arrived on Friday, I installed the spring kit and cleaned/lubed the gun this afternoon and will shoot it in the morning.

An inspection of the internals didn't reveal any wear, just a light shine on the contact points of the parts. I bet the gun didn't have 500 rounds through it. It was pretty dry, however. I installed the Wolff 10 lb hammer and trigger return springs. Double action pull is very light, probably 6#, single action is 3#, my guess, don't have a gauge here.

The only other thing I need is a slightly taller front sight and some range time.

The internals of the pistol are works of art. Really nice parts. I am going to enjoy trying to wear them out!

Joe

jackruff

Bearcat
Great gun. Mine is a six-inch barrel, but I really liked the feel of the four-inch barrel better. So why did I buy the six-inch? Still don't know but I love to shoot it. Hit an 18" gong target at 200 yards with it recently.

GhosT

Blackhawk
Joe L,
Kudos on yer purchase.

I, like Jack ruff own the stainless 6" version.
Mine turned out as accurate as the stainless Python I traded in to get it.

That Python, that everybody loves...is uber cool...But delicate.
Had to send it back to COLT more than once after using hand loads a GP100 would laugh at.
Not to mention that COLT's stainless steel seemed to try to rust compared to Rugers.

Over decades of buying, owned hundreds of guns.
My GP100 proved itself as a NEVER-SELL gun......TOTAL KEEPER!

jackruff

Bearcat
I completely agree with GhosT. I don't see how a better .357 could be made. Rugged, accurate, good trigger - what more could you want? I would feel confident hunting deer with it, although I haven't.

Joe L

Bearcat
Thanks for the warm welcome. I thought I had lost the new GP100 a week ago. It fell down behind a truck seat in my range truck and I didn't notice I didn't have it until I had switched vehicles and driven home. Found it on the return trip a week later. I have a new front sight, some speed loaders, snap caps, and a holster to learn to use next.

I was able to buy Monarch 357 magnum ammo for it at Academy tonight, but can't find any 38 special FMJ lately. I'll shoot it when I can, probably next weekend.

Joe

That's a beauty right there!

I have 2 GP100's - a 6" stainless half lug and a 4" blued full lug. They are on my "Do not get rid of, for any reason!" list.

The 6" was my first revolver purchase (and the 3rd gun I ever bought). It was the prime reason of my having Rugeritus. I bought it from a close friends dad years ago, and when his dad passed on, I asked him if he would like it back. Thankfully, he said that his dad never really liked it, so it had no sentimental value.

Joe L

Bearcat
Got the GP100 back out to the range this morning after installing the Hi-Viz front sight, tightening and Loctiting the cylinder release pin and rear sight pin. I really like the new front sight, matches my autos and, more importantly, got the rear sight back in to the adjustable range with both 38 special and 357 magnum. No problems at all with the lower rated hammer and trigger springs, everything was 100%.

Another plus for the Hi-Viz sight is that it is slightly narrower than sight that was on the gun, so that it does not drag in the Fobus kydex holster I have now. It was nearly impossible to draw the gun from the holster with the old sight. Works perfectly now.

Now I need to learn to use the speedloaders and find some 38 special ammo.

Joe

Joe L

Bearcat
I did have a little flinch problem after 140 rounds of 22LR from a CZ Kadet.

EE506310-M.jpg

Joe