New 357 mag Ruger with 18.5" barrel

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Terry T

Buckeye
I'm listing this in the revolver section because so many revolver folks like the 357 mag. round. I have a Marlin and a Timberwolf in 357 mag and think it's a good companion to a revolver whether the revolver is an LCR, SP101, GP100, Blackhawk, or Vaquero. These should be good out to at least 200 yards on small deer and two legged varmits.

http://www.ruger.com/products/rotaryMagazine77357/models.html

I like the look of this a lot! :D
Terry T

stantheman86

Buckeye
Is this new? I've never heard of this rifle, but now I need one!

It would be the ideal "companion" to my .357 GP100's.

I hope those scope ring cutouts are for standard M77-Super Redhawk rings, this rifle would be just about ideal with a 2x or 4x optic.

I only wish there was a blue and walnut option......

s4s4u

Hunter
Don Lovel said:
MSRP is $250 too high for it to be successful

Actual retail prices run around 75% + or - of MSRP. I just don't see the need, one in a 357 Max would find it's way into my hands tho.

chet15

Hawkeye
s4s4u said:
Don Lovel said:

Actual retail prices run around 75% + or - of MSRP. I just don't see the need, one in a 357 Max would find it's way into my hands tho.

Would be less need for a manufacturer to make a .357 Maximum rifle than one in .357 Magnum as you'd have to get the ammo manufacturer's on board and "ON THE SAME PAGE" again.
Chet15

stantheman86

Buckeye
I see this as a $550-600 rifle at a gun shop, maybe less from somewhere like Bud's. The only competition is from companies like Henry who make .357 lever guns for less money.

The advantage is you can shoot cheaper .38 Special range ammo like Winchester White Box or reloads for plinking or step up to Cor-Bon or Buffalo Bore for taking deer or defensive uses.

This would be the ticket for handloaders to shoot wicked hot .357's.......the one in .44 Mag is tempting too. A .44 Mag Super Redhawk or standard RH, or an Alaskan would be an ideal sidearm companion for this.

How about one in .454? :D

s4s4u

Hunter
chet15 said:
s4s4u said:
Don Lovel said:

Would be less need for a manufacturer to make a .357 Maximum rifle than one in .357 Magnum as you'd have to get the ammo manufacturer's on board and "ON THE SAME PAGE" again.
Chet15

As I said, I don't see a need for one. But.....If......When......

rugerlovah

Single-Sixer
meh .... i think its cool but wouldn't have much use for it. especially at $793 MSRP (whatever price dealers mark it down to is still gonna be high). would prefer the 77/44 for deer hunting, and this one would (i'm educated guessing) need another $75-$100 to get a gunsmith to drop the trigger to a reasonable pull weight.

i guess what i'm saying is ... it's not that i wouldn't buy it, there's just a number of other rifles that i'd buy first.

just my $.02

wetidlerjr

Single-Sixer
Terry T said:
I'm listing this in the revolver section because so many revolver folks like the 357 mag. round...
Terry T

There are three threads about this in the "Ruger Rifles, Shotguns and Carbines" forum.

Terry T

Buckeye
"wetidlerjr",

"There are three threads about this in the "Ruger Rifles, Shotguns and Carbines" forum."

Thanks for the note - I, for one, don't normally 'hang' in the rifle section and had missed the threads about the 77/357. I figured there were others like me who are into revolvers but who might have also missed this. :shock:

Terry T

mjh

Single-Sixer
For me it would be worth looking into. Have you seen the price of the bolt action .357 that comes from the company in brittan? Not to mention importing it. Goggle around and you'll find it. Other than a lever action there are not many options for bolt action in this caliber. While perhaps a smaller market a nice offering. Some states have shotgun hunting and pistol caliber hunting only for deer. So this might sell well in those areas.

batmann

Single-Sixer
I went to web site to check it out and low and behold---------CAMO version in .44M! Just the ticket for hunting Deer here in Indiana where the only center fire rifles you can use are pistol caliber. Matches up with my .44M Flattop. I usually don'ty get to excited about camo rifles, but this one tickled my fancy.

I didn't mean to high-jack your thread, but I hope this add to it.

Floridaoutdoors

Single-Sixer
Compact Rifle will appeal to many Handgun folk.
Appealing for many hunt applications.
Also the combo aspect.

Having carried Winchester Trapper and Ruger No.1 International,me thinks perhaps the 44 rifle would make an ideal companion to the Blackhawk......

wetidlerjr

Single-Sixer
Terry T said:
"wetidlerjr",
"There are three threads about this in the "Ruger Rifles, Shotguns and Carbines" forum."
Thanks for the note - I, for one, don't normally 'hang' in the rifle section and had missed the threads about the 77/357. I figured there were others like me who are into revolvers but who might have also missed this. :shock:
Terry T

Just thought others might want more info and it isn't a revolver after all. :mrgreen:

Terry T

Buckeye
"Wetidlerjr"

"Just thought others might want more info and it isn't a revolver after all"

1) Yes, thank you, I did find and read the rifle threads. :D

2) Does a rotary magazine count as a 'revolver'? :shock:
(I guess I was focused on the 357 mag. as a revolver round. :oops: )

Still, I really like the looks of this. Could be a good urban "Zombie Apocalypse" piece and short range deer rifle. 357 mag. is one of my favorite cartridges. I reload it and have numerous 357 mag. Rugers including SP101s, GP100s, Six Series double actions, and Vaqueros.
Terry T