Nest predators

Help Support Ruger Forum:

We all know the fur market is in the dumpster but keep in mind that removal of as many nest predators as possible helps the ground nesting birds and small game populations. I set 8 traps 4 days back and have removed a total of 9 (haven't checked this morning) in 3 nights. Only value is for coyote/crow bait but I feel it's worthwhile. Coons, possums, skunks are all bad for quail, pheasant, and turkey nests.

contender

Ruger Guru
Yep,,, when fur prices drop,, fewer trappers even set traps. And the population of predators goes up,, and other species suffer. When my deer season ends here,, I have plans for the coyotes & coons on my place. :oops: :oops: :oops: :devilish:

I've tallied up a fair number of varmints and still setting. Running 30-50% w/o putting much thought into the locations. Catching those sow coons should count double? :)

We(actually Son since I just rode along)set a bunch of traps on our north farm after I pulled my traps here. I've sort of lost count but total was around 25 raccoons within the first 5 days. Most were in the 20-25# range with a couple @27-28#. Almost no value except for the skulls (and that's more work than I'm willing to invest). Son found a buyer who will pay $4-5 for coons weighing over 25# and a measly $10 for good sized beaver. The only way to profit from beaver trapping is nuisance removal work or the seldom but possible otter catch.

Son has two 'beaver jobs going' on the same creek. He just sent a pic of this morning's success.
I'm digging up old trapping knowledge I thought was lost to my youth and passing it along. We didn't do much beaver trapping when I was a kid. Mostly raccoon and muskrat but I listened well while sitting on the shed floor skinning beaver that someone else caught. Don't remember how much that old guy paid me but it wasn't much for the effort required. :)

contender

Ruger Guru
We didn't have beaver around here either when I was a kid & trapping for fur. But since the state listened to the eco-freaks & decided to re-introduce certain species,, it helps me pay the bills now. And I make more doing damage control than the fur will ever be worth. :D

But the skills needed, I did revert to part of my early muskrat trapping. But the beavers are a little different,, yet,, still not terribly hard to trap.

I have skinned a few in the past,, and mostly now,, I just collect the glands. (Easier & better money vs. the time invested.)

I just reminded Son to ask the fur buyer if it's OK to remove the glands. Sort of forgot until you mentioned that.
FWIW, biggest/heaviest beaver on MO state records was trapped about a mile from my house. In fact the trapper (a smallish guy like myself) called me to help him get the critter up the creek bank and into his pickup. Sad story as the guy didn't follow state fur sale regs and MDC confiscated the beaver.
Somewhere, I have(or had) a picture from late 1960"s of myself holding a 5'+ nose to tail beaver that was caught less than 1/4 mile from the same spot. Probably bigger than the record holder but no one kept track of such things back then. We had to make a bigger 'hoop' for that pelt. That was real 'old-timey' stuff--making beaver hoops from split hickory saplings.

There is an upscale McMansion housing development in my area that is having beaver and deer problems. It's amazing how the Bambi and Bucky lovers can change. They think wildlife is wonderful and all those nasty hunters and trappers are evil.... Until they are getting flooded and their expensive foliage is being eaten.... Then they scream like a 2 year old being told NO. I think it's funny!

contender

Ruger Guru
"It's amazing how the Bambi and Bucky lovers can change. They think wildlife is wonderful and all those nasty hunters and trappers are evil.... Until they are getting flooded and their expensive foliage is being eaten.... Then they scream like a 2 year old being told NO. I think it's funny!"

Yep,, but quite often,, they STILL refuse to allow good law changes or promote hunting & trapping. They would much rather pay a professional to handle their problems,, instead of allowing the average hunter/trapper an opportunity. Which many would do the work just for the opportunity.

Mobuck,, currently,, the gland prices are down,, but I save them in the freezer until I have a fair number,, and the prices are worth it.

Hunting and trapping beavers and cougars is a skill. Flashy clothing, top shelf booze and a good line of bull goes a long way towards achieving your goal. You have to be careful though or you may end up with a coyote and have to chew your arm off to escape. Then there is the risk of having to see the doctor for lingering issues... I am happily married and don't have to worry about such things.

Ride1949

Hunter
You need to watch out for those cougars too. ;)

cougar_crossing.jpg

bykerhd

Single-Sixer
About a dozen beaver pond dams failed during heavy rain in Vermont in July, 1984. An Amtrak train derailed when the tracks washed out.
Five people died and 149 were injured. Beavers can cause lots of destruction.

About a dozen beaver pond dams failed during heavy rain in Vermont in July, 1984. An Amtrak train derailed when the tracks washed out.
Five people died and 149 were injured. Beavers can cause lots of destruction.

The world's largest beaver dam is over 2600 feet long. Fortunately it's in Alberta Canada and doesn't cause many problems

jokgga

Bearcat
The world's largest beaver dam is over 2600 feet long. Fortunately it's in Alberta Canada and doesn't cause many problems
The dam, which is about a half a mile long, is so massive it even shows up on satellite images. It remained hidden within the Alberta wilderness until 2007, when a researcher spotted it while looking at Google Earth. The beavers are currently building new dams nearby, which when joined with the main structure could add over 300 more feet to its length.

Marchester

Bearcat
Glad to see so many like minds. Missed 7 seasons putting out steel since 1976 ( mostly due to uncle sam).

When fur is high everyone is a trapper….
When fur is low only trappers will trap…