Need quick advice on No 1 in 45-70 purchase

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Engine49guy

Bearcat
Greetings ,
I found a Ruger No 1, Model Medium 1A in 45-70 today locally .
Has beautiful grade AA walnut stock and iron sites as new condition no box or docs for $600 with 2 boxes of factory ammo.
No scope or rings.

I have no knowledge of the model other than I like it.
I collect but do not hunt but really like the gun.

Is it a fair buy, good buy, great buy or do not buy?

any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Engine49guy

Bearcat
Many Thanks for the quick reply,

Seller described it as a Medium Model 1A.
How can I tell the difference between the 1A and 1S ?
Any difference in price?

mattsbox99

Hunter
1A is light sporter, 1S is medium sporter, 1H is Tropical. Those and the RSI are the only ones with sights. The B,V, and previous models like the AH & AB don't have sights.

1A is .30-06 and smaller, 1S has been made in 7RM to 45-70, 1H is the host for traditional African cartridges, although its been made in several big bores, I think 375HH is the smallest.

The vast majority of 45-70s are 1S, possibly all 45-70s are S.

gatling

Blackhawk
I don't believe they ever made the 45 70 as a 1A, although the 22-inch 1S 45 70 looks like it should be called a 1A.

The price is good; you should buy this one and not look back. They are magnificent rifles and they are great shooters. The 45 70 is a magnificent round and it is a lot of fun to shoot and reload. You can go ultra hot with this round in a Ruger, but there's really no need to. They do just fine around 1200 fps. 15 grains of Unique behind a 400, 322, or 300 grain bullet are all accurate loads.

I hope you've already bought it; it won't last long at that price.

Swampman

Single-Sixer
The .45-70 is so easy to get to shoot well and a real joy to shoot. You'll love it. If you don't relaod, I'd suggest a box of Remington 405 grain ammo.

WebleyMan

Single-Sixer
At $600, don't hesitate BUY IT! They seem to be going for around $700 -$750 around here, last time I looked.

The only thing that's kept me from getting one is concern about the recoil. (Two detatched retinas already...don't want that again!) How do the factory 300 grain "deer loads" compare recoil wise to say, the little 96/44 with a heavy .44 mag load (which is to my mind is mild recoil)? (The .44 mag is alot less cartridge than the .45-70, but the 96/44 is about two pounds lighter than the 1S all done up.)

Silent Sam

Blackhawk
I shoot 300grs at 1800fps out of a 22" barrel #3 factory stock comfortably and you don't need that much velocity depending on what you are using it for. I haven't shot a 96/44 but I wouldn't worry too much about recoil in a #1 with any standard factory 45-70 round or equivalent. 400grs@ 1200fps or 300grs@ 1800fps are the Winchester and Remington loads and the recoil velocity is low so it is just a push. A #1 will be a good bit heavier and have a much better stock for mitigating recoil than a #3. Just because you can load/shoot it hot doesn't mean you have to. There are tons of accurate recipes for 300gr to over 500gr bullets at velocites from 1000fps - 2000fps. The light loads will be easy shooting in an 8# rifle and still be hard hitting on the impact end and effective on deer size game. Just use bullets appropriate for the job and velocity. Lead bullets are not a bad choice in the 45-70 if you reload. Two boxes of factory ammo, if it's ammo you want, means you'll be at 5 something for the rifle which is a good price for any new condition #1. A pure collector would want the box, as much as or more than factory ammo, and want it unfired if possible. A shooter wouldn't much care about the box and would want the ammo if for nothing else than the brass.