Need input on a Mini 14 SS Folder GB, 182 Series

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Marcus99

Bearcat
I'm still new to and learning about the Mini 14 so could use any input on the one listed below that I am considering purchasing. Please correct me if I am wrong on any of the following too.

It is a 182 series Mini 14 Folder in Stainless Steel, GB model. I am still researching the various series and versions, but as I understand it this is the sought after folder version popularized in 1980's media such as the A-Team and Death Wish 4 with Charles Bronson. I've always really liked the way these particular ones look hence why I am considering it - I've never shot one and only held a fixed stock one once.

I've heard accuracy is questionable on the early ones. Is this true? Anything else I need to be aware of? Does this one appear 100% original? How's parts availability? I would shoot it although probably only 100rds per year after the initial awe factor wears off.

It is just the gun and several mags - no box/paperwork/etc. Seller wants $1,600. Is this low, average, or high?

Thank you for any and all input!

57springer

Buckeye
I bought the same gun new in 1984 and still have it . The stock is definitely original, looks like a flash hider added. As for accuracy they are not target guns and were not meant to be. That is about top money. They don't come up for sale very often ,as for the stocks , they bring 600 as take off parts themselves ! Very cool guns!!!

mac66

Single-Sixer
Those are cool rifles and not too many around anymore. I think the price is a bit high but you might want to look on Gunbroker or other auction sites to see what they are going for.

57springer

Buckeye
Wow ! I just looked at gun broker and there are several listed . one up to $1255 right now , they are bringing more than I thought . another to start a $1999. I wish I had bought several at what I recall was about $435 back in the day !

Another idea to ponder---buy 2 of them brand spanking new. Keep one bone stock which works just fine. Use the second one to go all tactical with. You can buy all sorts of folding stocks and lots of other neat gadgets to put on there. Pretty sure you will come out close to even money.

57springer

Buckeye
There is a mini 14 LE model 5833 over at cdnn on sale right now , was priced at 1100 now 769 that is tactical. I looked for it on the ruger website , doesn't exist ? Figure that one out ?

dfletcher

Blackhawk
Marcus99 said:
I'm still new to and learning about the Mini 14 so could use any input on the one listed below that I am considering purchasing. Please correct me if I am wrong on any of the following too.

It is a 182 series Mini 14 Folder in Stainless Steel, GB model. I am still researching the various series and versions, but as I understand it this is the sought after folder version popularized in 1980's media such as the A-Team and Death Wish 4 with Charles Bronson. I've always really liked the way these particular ones look hence why I am considering it - I've never shot one and only held a fixed stock one once.

I've heard accuracy is questionable on the early ones. Is this true? Anything else I need to be aware of? Does this one appear 100% original? How's parts availability? I would shoot it although probably only 100rds per year after the initial awe factor wears off.

It is just the gun and several mags - no box/paperwork/etc. Seller wants $1,600. Is this low, average, or high?

Thank you for any and all input!

VxetfTZh.jpg

nCdcdtOh.jpg

MGy9lH5h.jpg

dg3mqFxh.jpg

1WQvVfLh.jpg

You'll have to decide if the thrill of owning one is worth it and mediocre accuracy acceptable. Accuracy generally isn't very good and the steel tube stock doesn't make for a very good cheek weld. I'll defer to others but the rifle and stock look awfully shiny and I'd wonder if someone took to polishing the gun. I have a Ranch Rifle dropped into a factory folder and the finish on the folder is definitely much duller, matte type.

Marcus99

Bearcat
dfletcher said:
I'll defer to others but the rifle and stock look awfully shiny and I'd wonder if someone took to polishing the gun. I have a Ranch Rifle dropped into a factory folder and the finish on the folder is definitely much duller, matte type.

Yeah that crossed my mind as well. But I've noticed what otherwise appear to be factory correct folders in both brushed and polished stainless. Did Ruger produce both?

Rei40c

Blackhawk
I can only offer my off the cuff impressions. Whoever owned this gun rarely shot it and took excellent care of it. Usually you see tool marks around the cover plate to remove the bolt hold back assembly in poorly cared for Mini's. Mostly from people using a screw driver to remove this plate as it's difficult to come off. I see none of that.

The magazine is certainly not as old as the rifle, it looks rather new and I don't think it's spent more than a day out in the field so to speak. This wouldn't be at all important to me, maybe it would be to you?

It's difficult to tell from the pic but I see no signs of wear in the groves the charging handle rides in on the right side in pic #2. Also causing me to think this rifle is at an extremely low round count.

No scratches on the safety lever that tend to be common is a Mini that's been run hard on the range.

The flash suppressor ports shows some signs of wear I believe to have more to do with over cleaning, or as if someone took a tooth brush, or wire brush to it a little too hard to clean out the carbon. Or maybe he took the flash suppressor from another rifle with a much higher round count. In either case the flash suppressor condition does not seem to match the rest of the rifle.

My impression is this rifle was loved by someone. Regularly maintained and very rarely shot. My gut feeling is this thing has less than 300 rounds through it and has been in someones safe and removed for regular cleaning over the years.

Is it worth $1600? To me no it's not, I'd like to offer $1200 for it. How badly do you want it? Maybe it would be to you.

Marcus99

Bearcat
Rei40c said:
I can only offer my off the cuff impressions. Whoever owned this gun rarely shot it and took excellent care of it. Usually you see tool marks around the cover plate to remove the bolt hold back assembly in poorly cared for Mini's. Mostly from people using a screw driver to remove this plate as it's difficult to come off. I see none of that.

The magazine is certainly not as old as the rifle, it looks rather new and I don't think it's spent more than a day out in the field so to speak. This wouldn't be at all important to me, maybe it would be to you?

It's difficult to tell from the pic but I see no signs of wear in the groves the charging handle rides in on the right side in pic #2. Also causing me to think this rifle is at an extremely low round count.

No scratches on the safety lever that tend to be common is a Mini that's been run hard on the range.

The flash suppressor ports shows some signs of wear I believe to have more to do with over cleaning, or as if someone took a tooth brush, or wire brush to it a little too hard to clean out the carbon. Or maybe he took the flash suppressor from another rifle with a much higher round count. In either case the flash suppressor condition does not seem to match the rest of the rifle.

My impression is this rifle was loved by someone. Regularly maintained and very rarely shot. My gut feeling is this thing has less than 300 rounds through it and has been in someones safe and removed for regular cleaning over the years.

Is it worth $1600? To me no it's not, I'd like to offer $1200 for it. How badly do you want it? Maybe it would be to you.

Thank you. Your post was very informative and exactly what I'm looking for. Any idea if that polished stainless finish is factory original, and/or whether Ruger made such a polish stainless finish on Mini 14's? I've seen both polished and brushed stainless Mini 14's.

Rei40c

Blackhawk
I'm afraid I have to admit as other has posted previously I can not tell by my eye if this was a polish job or factory job. One could argue does it matter as it's current condition is excellent? In other words I'm not an expert and probably would be prone to being fooled. In such case it did fool me. :D

I'm glad you found my post helpful. Is this still up for sale? I see it's been a few days since your original post. Are you going to try to buy it?

Marcus99

Bearcat
Rei40c said:
I'm afraid I have to admit as other has posted previously I can not tell by my eye if this was a polish job or factory job. One could argue does it matter as it's current condition is excellent? In other words I'm not an expert and probably would be prone to being fooled. In such case it did fool me. :D

I'm glad you found my post helpful. Is this still up for sale? I see it's been a few days since your original post. Are you going to try to buy it?

I appreciate your input nonetheless, thanks!

I'm still talking with the seller. A trade we were discussing is no longer of interest to him so it would be a cash deal. From everything I've been told in feedback and by looking at completed auctions and sales $1,600 is too high so at that price I'll pass. It's a beautiful gun and I want it, but not at a 25-33% premium.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
The folding MIni-14s will never be produced again, I'll bet my lunch money on that. "Market value" is irrelevant and nebulous, and is based only on fair-auction (no reserve) selling prices. With a 30-40 year old guns, condition varies of course. Always will.

As a result, buyers' desire is the lone factor in value (barring possibly, an ANIB example). IMO, pre-2018 prices are also somewhat irrelevant to today's exchanges.

- I say buy every one you find if you want. They are a blast, always desirable and it is always a personal quest. I've never had buyer's remorse when walking away with a factory folder in my hands! ;)

PS, I installed an Ultimak Scout rail on one of mine, and it absolutely is the best single improvement I've done on ANY Mini-14, hands down. http://ultimak.com/m4.htm

Marcus99

Bearcat
Valid point. Most I've found for sale were not GB models, but rather simply folders. $1,600 still seems a tad bit high.

My main concern is whether that polished stainless finish is factory original or done by someone afterwards. I'm seeing a bit of both in google images but most seem to be brushed stainless.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
I might add that MagPul makes poly mags that actually work. Those and Ruger mags are all I'll spend my money on.

The muzzle break is factory IMO, and the OD is made to fit the M7 bayonet, as is the positioning of the front sight/bayo lug...

BTW, Ruger stainless guns shine up with normal use. I wouldn't think twice unless the thing has been altered internally in some mysterious way.

silvergoat86

Bearcat
Hello,
I have the 185 series and appears similar to the one you are considering except mine is dull stainless. Your Mini appears to be shined stainless.
Parts are hard to come by anymore but I have not had anything wear out lately.
Your stock and especially the gas block.are sought after, they look correct for the factory bought folder and expensive to replace.
Used parts are some times available on ebay.
I attempted miner changes to improve accuracy, results are noticed but not spectacular. It is what it is and I enjoy it !
Good luck !

Marcus99

Bearcat
Thank you for the feedback guys. I called Ruger to check pedigree of the gun as to configuration when it left the factory. This one did NOT leave the factory in a folding stock, although everything else is correct. Any idea as to how much this impacts it's value given it is not a factory-shipped folding Mini 14?

57springer

Buckeye
I say still a $1200 gun , folding factory stocks (by themselves) sell for $600 easy and right now on gundeals there are police trade in mini14s ( rough ) going for $400 , so figure $1000 easy.

Marcus99

Bearcat
Thanks everyone. I'm hoping to strike a deal with the seller but he was firm at $1,600 last we spoke, so unless he's willing to come down a bit I don't have much hope of striking a deal. He wants top dollar (a bit more actually) for what factory GB-F's go for, and given what Ruger told me there is doubt whether this is a factory built folder, so I need to take that into account when making an offer.

I'm hopeful we can meet at an agreeable price though, it's one of the most beautiful rifles I've ever seen.