Need AL-8 load data

Help Support Ruger Forum:

johnnyreloader

Bearcat
I've come into a 6# keg of AL-8 powder, still good, and would like to use it 9mm, 45ACP, maybe even 44 Mag.

I've found some data for 44 Mag, but just about nothing for 9mm and 45acp.

A few sites say to use Blue Dot data for starting charges, and AL-8 does not like reduced charges.

Can anyone confirm this?

Anyone have AL-8 data for these cartridges?

Thanks.

gunzo

Hunter
Welcome to forum, johnnyreloader!

Wow, I don't think that powder has been available in the US for 35 or 40 years.

I have 3 or 4 manuals from the late 60's to early 70's & they offer no applications for Al-8 in 9mm or 45ACP. It does seem to have a similar burning rate to Bluedot, & faster than 2400. I think no data was provided, not because it's Alcan, but an Alcan powder that has too slow a burning rate for those 2 cartridges. Basically the same reason no data was provided for Bluedot or 2400. With the heavier bullets for cartridge, maybe, but who knows?

It does seem useable in the magnums, I too found data for the .44.

Hoping here that you are sure the powder is labeled correctly, it is indeed good, & you have some reliable data to work with. Good luck!

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Hi,

If memory serves, AL-7 and AL-8 were popular in the late 60s and early '70s among shotshell loaders I knew who needed a slow burning powder for heavier 12 ga loads. I don't recall anyone loading handgun ammo with either back then, but to be honest I paid little attention to "other than shotshell" uses at the time.

I'd be careful about the data found today. Is it a reprint of period correct data, or just some "I loaded it like this and nothing blew up" Internet stuff?

Rick C

johnnyreloader

Bearcat
I've found several sources on-line stating to use Blue Dot starting charges, which would be great
because there's some 9mm loads using Blue Dot.
And the retailer writes on bottle "Use Blue Dot data".
Just would feel a lot better if someone commented 'yes I did this and it was fine'.
I'll probably make a couple test rounds of 9mm 124gr at starting Blue Dot charge to test
this AL-8 powder. Figure it won't blow up my pistol, maybe cause a squib at worst.