need a new recoil pad

Help Support Ruger Forum:

3-screw-357

Bearcat
Hi all hoping someone can help me I have 30-06 and want to put a good recoil pad on it and would like some input on it
I have this one remington 700 from 1992 (no recoil pad)
I am starting to reloading some 150 gr& 165 gr bullets with H4350
56.0 grH4350 w/150 Hornady FMJ/BT
53.0gr H4350 w/Hornady 165 btsp for starters
Thank You for any and all help
Jesse

hapjack12

Bearcat
There are several ready to fit recoil pads available. You might try one of these. Next, you can use a slip on pad and there are several of these too and they work fine. Sometimes with the slip on you can take off the factory plastic recoil thing and the slip on will not change your length of pull very much. Putting on a grind to fit pad is not easy and you should probably take it to a "smith" unless you want to risk the new pad and your gun's finish by trying it yourself. You can do it but it is a chore.

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
The best aftermarket pad I know of is the LimbSaver. It is made for several guns as a pre-fit (not slip-on), and they also sell them in cut-to-fit, for special applications. I have them on 3-4 rifles and shotguns. I imagine a gun as popular as the 700 has a model made for it.

It's the same technology Rem used in the R3 pads a few years ago, as they licensed it from LimbSaver. Not sure what happened to that relationship, as new Rems come with a new proprietary pad.

What I want to know is if there's a good recoil pad that can replace the steel buttplate on a Ruger #3... :D

-- Sam

flhr62

Single-Sixer
I re-stocked my 700 ADL 30-06 with an H-S Precision stock with full aluminum bedding block. It is more of an expensive route, but it's nicer to shoot. It seem to be one of the hardest kicking guns I have ever shot with the factory stock on it.

3-screw-357

Bearcat
Hi all and Thank You
What I am going to do is a slip on with sand bags for the range.
And in the felt I never felt a shot a 22, 50 cal muzz, 30-06, ect
thank you all as always
Jesse

For the range, if shooting extended sessions, you may want to consider extra padding for the shoulder in addition to the recoil pad (slip on or permanent). An easy one is to use a padded (soft sided) gun case between the stock and your shoulder. A shotgun or rifle is what I use - just drape it over the shoulder and it's not falling out like a smaller handgun rug will between shots. Also, be aware of eye relief distance with your scope - with any of these measures the way the felt recoil is reduced allows the rifle and scope eyepiece to come back at you some more, so if your scope is short eye relief it may contact your eyebrow...