My P89 vs P95's

Help Support Ruger Forum:

So, as many here may know, I've been a P95 decock model fan for years.... actually have 3 and had been wishing for more when my ship comes in.... I picked up a P89x a few years back but it was a safety model and that kind of always aggravated me.... well I bought a decock upper from a fellow member here (he claimed it would work on the safety models too if the manufacture dates were close) seems p95's are different in this regard.... well I put it on a few weeks back and it seemed to function great... but did not get to shoot the now P89 decock until yesterday...
I loved it... I think I'm back sliding and am going to start looking for another P89 decocker.

roylt

Hunter
My Ruger "collection" started with a P89DC. After that the P-guns were it for me. Today, if pushed, it would be hard to choose which one I like best but the 94DC is real nice. I will always have the P89DC and my son will too.

Al James

Hunter
Roy and I were both hooked by the P89DC. Currently I feel the best of the Ruger 9mm P guns is the KP95DPR15. It has everything going for it IMO.

I put a Houge rubber grip with the finger grooves on it on the P89 and I like the way it feels. I could hit a stump about the size of a paint can at about 50 yards but I never did 'tag' the empty propane bottle across the pond at 100. Maybe next time.

ruger1963

Bearcat
I HAD a P95DC and a P95 safety model.

I HAVE 3 P89DC stainless Rugers!

In my opinion, the decocker P89's are the best of the P-Series.

Knecht

Single-Sixer
Have the P89DC, was my first semi-auto. Second gun in my possession ever when I started couple years ago. And even though I'm currently getting rid of some of the other guns I bought as unexperienced beginner (including LC9), P89 has no reason to be afraid, it stays!
I guess the P89, Glock 22 and vz.58 would be the last guns I'd give up ever.

P94/GP100

Single-Sixer
I consider the P89s, and especially later-production P89s to be among the Q-ships of the semiauto pistol world. It's a platform that successfully completed the rigorous XM10 DoD pistol trials, is significantly overbuilt for the 9mm cartridge (and I mean that in a complimentary way), and the later production variants have actually pretty darn good ergos with the final version of the safety/decocker levers, slide and magazine releases, and quite decent sights out of the box. Accuracy is decent (my personal example is spectacularly so)-especially with later production models whose breech butt is raised above the plane of the slide when in battery. DA triggerpulls are long, but smooth-very Ruger revolver-like (shocker..); SA pull is crisp, with a short and discernible reset point. Factory OEM Xenoy grips are more than adequate, and virtually indestructible. Originally, mine wore a set of Uncle Mike's Craig Spegel-designed grips, but when I noticed some slippage/retention issues with the right grips due to age/deterioration, I replaced them with the current set of Hogue rubber fingergroove grips, which provide a great grip and feel (and also expedite strong- and weak-hand only firing).

Frankly, whenever I get bitten by the HK bug, and am significantly tempted to consider a HK P30/P30L, I take out the venerable P89, and ask myself, "Why?" Not that there's ANYTHING intrinsically undesirable with these HKs, but that the P89 really fills that DA/SA 9mm niche...It really is more than it appears at first blush. That Ruger marketed them as kind of a volkspistol for the lower end of the market, and the gun world's perception seems to be that they're a bit of a "bubba" gun doesn't mean that they're really far better than that marketing and/or market perception.

I feel very comfortable in carrying mine, successfully using it in IDPA competition periodically, and employing it as a nightstand gun. It is designed to work with any commercially available and/or military issue 9mm cartridge-mine has worked successfully with some very hard-primered Israeli submachine gun 9mm fodder (especially in single-action), and work well in pretty much any environment. I have, and have had, many more expensive and critically regarded (or esteemed) 9mm pistols-but the P89 is a keeper (and user) in my collection. For me, it significantly personifies the concept of value in a combat/defensive pistol.

Best, Jon

roylt

Hunter
All this 89 praise from a guy that goes by P94... Nice, I love the P-guns!

Jon,
Your handle is perfect. Those are my fav Rugers!

Ashlander

Single-Sixer
I have a P95 safety model, but also have a P97 and P90 with the decockers. I think it's a perfect world. sometimes I like the safety -- and sometimes I don't.

mrmike7189

Single-Sixer
I like them both...but my favorite is the P89.
I like that you can change grips on the p89. I tried holding a P95 and found that the P95 has a thicker and slippery grip.
The P89 is heavier(all metal) which makes it harder to carry.....but less felt recoil at the range.
The P95 is easier to carry, seems lighter and has a shorter barrell

airwin

Bearcat
blume357, the P89 and also the P95 are exceptionally good guns. For several decades, I am interested with handguns and I've shot and inspected many guns. Per year I shoot about 5000 rds with my various guns and my P89 pistol thrills me again and again. The P89 is very well balanced, better as my P95 may be because of the longer barrel and slide it feels better. With each of my workhorse 9mm P-Rugers I have already fired more than 5000 shots and they never has had any kind of failure or problem all over recent years. I have some Glock pistols too, but they are not as reliable as my Ruger Guns. Pros and cons of the P-pistols in my view: P 89 is balaced better as the P95. The P95 has a very strong and scratch-resistant polymer frame. The alloy frame of the P89 is not as durable as the P95 frame I think. If the surface of a P89-frame is once scratched or scuffed from holstering, you can´t repair it any more. The Polymer frame you can file, polish or repair like stainless steel. But both P-Rugers are really great guns! All my P-Rugers I has modified with a trigger of the P95, it feels noticeable better.

PAVTXER

Single-Sixer
I'm going to have to take a closer look at the KP95DPR15. And might even consider trading or selling an early KP89DC, since I do have two KP89s..... and no P95. I'm not sure I'd like the hard poly/plastic grip on that tho..... I have Hogues on most all my other P's..... that just might be a deal breaker.

roylt

Hunter
The 95 is just like the 93 really. Just plastic frame vs metal. But if you get one, you can put a hogue grip sleeve on it. (you can put the hogue grip sleeve on any gun really, even over the factory ruger grips on the metal frame guns.)