My oddball Super Black Hawk

Help Support Ruger Forum:

RolandDeschain

Blackhawk
I ordered this in new a few years back, but there were so many things I didn't like about it that it kind of turned into a project gun.

1. It started out with a 7.5" barrel, but I didn't like the balance, so had it shortened as far as I could.
2. But that left the stupid warning half on, and the gunsmith wouldn't remove it, so I sanded it off myself.
3. Then it needed to be blued, but I didn't want to fork over for a custom job, so blued it myself with about a zillion coats from a Beechwood Casey kit. (turned out surprisingly good)
4. Couldn't stand how the squared off trigger guard bit me, so I put on that Pachmeyer grip.
5. I thought the sights were crude, so I put on the 1 Ragged Hole peep thingy.

Well, after all that, I finally like it. Shoots as good as I can hold, easy to carry, and for a 44 mag, pretty easy to hold and shoot. Doesn't get out much because my woods gun is a Glock 32, but now I have so much of "me" in it that it seems like an old friend. Guess it will go to my kid someday.
DSC_3202_zpsrv3uuggk.jpg

jn 41

Single-Sixer
NICE! I have one just about like that. Gunsmith cut it to 5inch, because he didn't want to mess with the lettering. Then I put a SS Blackhawk (RED) grip frame on it. Suits me fine now.

Alabama, in the bend of the Tennessee River
Same here - I could never get along with the Dragoon-style Super Blackhawk gripframe. Not only did the squared-off rear of it bang my knuckle, I always felt like I could never grip it the same way twice. All my Ruger SA .44s have steel XR3-RED gripframes, and I'm much happier with that. I like your gun. A gun's gotta fit a guy, or it's no use to him.

pete44ru

Hunter

+1 I like the shorter barrel, but I too would have switched out the grip-frame for one with the rounded trigger guard, so I could make/install a set of Claro Walnut grip panels with a killer grain/color-contrast.

Latest posts