My New GP100s

Help Support Ruger Forum:

QB

Single-Sixer
I mentioned my new GP100s in another thread but decided to start one of my own. Last weekend at a local gunshow I picked up a couple of 38 Special GP100s, 3" barrel with adjustable rear sights. These GPs came from Davidsons but they don't show any more in stock. There were a couple for sale on GunBroker but they have been sold. Wasn't much else to choose from at the gunshow other than one S&W 686 Plus. No SP101s or any other GPs.

I liked the looks of the older style grips that I saw in some of the photos on this forum so I ordered a couple of them off ebay. Paid double what Midway sells them for but didn't want to wait for Midway to get any in. They are nice and new and arrived within days of ordering. They sure do feel nice and soft in my hand. I'm going to shoot one GP with the original fingergroove grips and one with the new grips to see which ones I like best. I definitely like the looks of the new grips better than the fingergroove, but I'm not sure why....just a little different shape I guess. If I like the way the new grips feel when shooting I'll change out the grips on my other GP.

I ordered was 1000 rounds of ammo and it arrived this week. :mrgreen: The GPs were a new "caliber" for me so I didn't have a stock of ammo like I do for my other guns. I'll stock up on more ammo once it goes down in price (if and when it does). Haven't decided on which self defense/hollow point ammo I'm going to use but am certainly open to suggestions.

Also have some speed loaders on back order from Ruger.

I'll update this post with a range report in the next couple of weeks. I thought I was going to be able to go to the range this weekend but it's going to have to be postponed. Anyway, here's a couple of quick pictures.

GP100s-2_zpsd7f6fc2b.jpg

GP100NewGrips_zps4931fccf.jpg

41manor44

Single-Sixer
Very nice pickup and I too changed out the Hogues for the old style Letts. Like you they just feel better in the hand. Maybe it's because the finger grooves force you to put your hand a certain way where the Letts don't.
50ofcopy.jpg

Here are my 3"ers both with fixed sights. I would prefer the adjustable sights but didn't run across any. Both of mine are 357. If you'll notice the full size grip on the left and the compact on the right. I thoroughly enjoy mine.

RME

Blackhawk
Nice looking GPs guys. I've got the 3" - 4' & 6". The 3" is the KGP-131 - 1708 - .357 with removable front sight
and adj. rear sight. I think the GP-100 is probably the best looking, best shooting in its class.

RME

QB

Single-Sixer
That compact grip sure looks nice also. I already bought two fullsize and only plan on using these guns at the range and as bedside guns (along with a couple of others) so I guess the fullsize will be OK for me. Thanks for the pictures of the two different sized grips....may have to look into a compact "just because".

eveled

Hawkeye
Nice pick up QB, I'm sure you will enjoy them.

41manor44, That is a nice pair of guns. I was looking for a 3 in fixed sight GP when I found my 4 inch with the fixed sights. I really prefer the fixed sights alot more. Your picture is one of the best I've ever seen comparing the compact with the full size grip. The grip they are selling now is fine for the long barrel guns but looks awful on the 3 inch. IMHO. Ed

papaSR9

Single-Sixer
Jealous, very jealous but happy that you were able to score these. The GP100 is on my 'get list' and I keep looking for them at the gun shows here in Georgia but the stars haven't aligned for me as of yet. Glad they did for you.

Meeko

Single-Sixer
Nice find! My suggestion for 38 is the old FBI load of the 158 gr SWCLHP. Any of the big 3 WIN, FED, and Remington. Buffalo Bore makes a Heavey 38 Special +P at 1000 FPS version which is a lot faster. It's not sexy but has worked and worked and worked in the original 850 ish FPS so the Buffalo Bore should be even better. Or Black Hills makes a 125 gr JHP that shows around 150 fps. it is probably one or the faster 38's in 125 gr if you like lighter or jacketed bullets.

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=108

KDF

Bearcat
I have a GP100 357 mag at work I am going to buy. This form certainly is getting reviews on this gun. Mine has the four inch barrel, I believe. <><

Latest posts