My Last Ever No. 1

Help Support Ruger Forum:

gewehrfreund

Buckeye
of 2020, that is. :wink:

An impulse buy that I'll blame on sheltering in place and/or early cabin fever. This was a bit of a Bubba'd rifle that I wouldn't have bothered with except for the price and being chambered in 7x57 Ackley Improved, an easy wildcat that I've never owned.
After getting this in hand, I realized I should have asked more questions. Some of the "issues" the seller forgot to mention: it had a very short LOP on the vintage DIY Bishop stock, was originally chambered in 7mm-08 :cry: , was missing the ejector spring and plunger and had some sort of epoxy "spacer" between the quarter-rib and barrel. On the plus side, it has a 3-screw Ruger trigger with a great crisp pull and the 24" barrel duplicates the "B" profile.

Before-
2dvpjbt.png

I fixed what needed fixing, replaced the quarter-rib with a set of Redfield bases and Burris offset rings, added an OEM barrel band swivel and replaced the stocks with a 1S set from 1977 (the rifle is a 131-prefix from 1978) that I've had for a long time. It's a lot easier to look at now IMO, and I hope to get some 7x57 ammo shot in it this week to see how the case forming will go.

After-
bpTXyqc.jpg

338reddog

Single-Sixer
Looks really nice. I bought my last no 1 in November. Im glad 2021 is here and I find more of my last rifles
Jeff

gewehrfreund

Buckeye
Thanks. Even with the shipping and transfer fee, it was still less than the most recent (if ever) stimulus hush money. Hard to find any No.1 that's not a basket case for that price these days. 8)

dfletcher

Blackhawk
Doesn't even look like the same rifle - fortunately. :)

Any insight as to why the quarter rib had the epoxy underside? Maybe the previous owner was trying to do a "20 MOA" No1 base. :roll:

gewehrfreund

Buckeye
No idea what the epoxy spacer was about unless someone had removed metal from the bottom of the quarter-rib that needed to be "brought back to specs". Otherwise, adding height to the front is only going to make it shoot low. :roll:
The barrel has the same profile as a Ruger B-weight (medium sporter) and the rib has the "B" stamp on the underside, so why that was done to the rib is anybody's guess.

RSIno1

Hunter
The red buttpad is the crowning touch. I got my first No1 before I knew of the difference. I think the only ones black buttpads are correct for are the gray & black laminated stocks.

gewehrfreund

Buckeye
Thanks for the comments. I got to the cold, snowy, breezy range on Wednesday and fireformed 10 rounds to see how it would go. Everything went according to plan, now I just have to figure out what it's going to take to get the AI cases reloaded, without having to buy a complete 7x57AI die set. :wink:

Latest posts