My Elmer, Skeeter, Dobe Gun

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Jeff Hoover

Blackhawk
Being a student of Keith, an admirer of Skeeter, and Dobe Grant being one of my favorite characters of Skeet, helped me decide on something that has alittle bit of everything, to honor and remind me of these great mentors.

We all know Elmer Keith was the catalyst of the .44 Magnum. The 4" S &W was his gun of choice for everyday carry. Not a handgun hunter by nature, Keith considered the handgun a tool of opportunity,when confronted with large game animals, or pests. It was always on his hip, ready at a moments notice.

Now Skeet always liked a 4" barrel for carriability, also. And like his fictional character, Dobe Grant, wasn't unknown to do a little workshop gunsmithing of his own, swapping barrels and cylinders, to create new calibers from the same old gun.

My local shop had an interesting S & W 5 screw Pre 29 in the display case, or so it seemed. It was actually a Pre 25 that someone had actually put a .44 barrel and cylinder on it, in place of the original .45 acp. The bluing was gorgeous . It had that hypnotic, deep, black pool bluing, that only hand polishing and age can bring out. It left the factory in 1956,with a 6 1/2"barrel, target hammer, trigger, and stocks. I've always wanted a 5 screw, one of the originals that first left the plant, as when Elmer first designed the .44 magnum. An original would have cost me 4 to 5 times what I paid. So it was within my budget.

When we popped the stocks off, which weren't original, by the way, I saw the darndest main spring. It was shaped like a "W". My first thought was what cockamanny gunsmith concocted such a strange thing. A little research thru this site, and it was identified as original, and rare, by Stephen Webb. Having found some relief, and pondering about such a hybrid of parts, I was reminded of my heroes from above. Heck yeah, let me have it. A deal was struck, and this Hero gun resides in my safe, among his brothern of oddities I have been able to accumulate over the years. It sure ain't original, but I think it oozes character, and personality. Best of all, it is a conglomeration of all of my favorite mentors.

5screw44002.jpg

5screw44003.jpg

5screw44004.jpg

5screw44005.jpg

5screw44006.jpg

jgt

Buckeye
The hammer suggests a short action lockwork, AND the frame has provisions for the standard mainspring. Someone probably used that spring to give it their idea of a better double action mode. You can change it back if it doesn't "do it" for you. I love these type guns because you can shoot them guilt-free and give them even more charector. You have a very unique shooter and it begs for a nice set of roper grips. Congratulations !!!

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
Digging back deep into my memory banks, seems I remember the Model 1955 Target models had that "W" shaped mainspring, supposed to ease cocking for timed and rapid fire stages in Bullseye competition.

Bob Wright