My custom Flattop .44

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Alabama, in the bend of the Tennessee River
Got this little beauty out today in anticipation of deer season being just around the corner. I think she's going to be the sidearm of choice this year. Old model Flattop with custom work by John Gallagher - barrel cut to 4 5/8", steel Old Army gripframe, locking base pin, trigger work and the cylinder frame case colored by Doug Turnbull. I think it turned out kinda nice. Grips are just a factory set that had some good figure. Keep thinking I'm going to get some custom grips to top it off but just haven't done it. Knife is a Camillus Yellow Jacket locking folder, ammo my standard hunting load of 17 grains of AA-9 with homecast 245 grain gas checked semi-wadcutter hollow points from a Lyman mold (Ray Thompson design, #429244).

414313203.jpg

414313205.jpg

414313204.jpg

414313206.jpg

That turned out really nice. Was the blueing that nice when you shipped it? What all did you have Turnbull do? I assume the CCH was one price, then blueing the rest of the gun, and prepping the gun and shipping both ways was all involved. I wouldn't think a guy just sends a gun for CCH, am I wrong? Did Gallagher do any appearance stuff on the gun?

Alabama, in the bend of the Tennessee River
I think the process was that John stripped the gun and just sent the cylinder frame to Turnbull. John did everything else, including the reblue. It was an average condition Flattop to start with, but had a great, tight action And while it's certainly not original any longer, to my way of thinking it's much improved.

Beautiful gun and typical of Johns work. He has done several for me and is finishing up two right now. Probably two of the last custom revolvers he will finish before his battle with cancer is done. I have a Freedom Arms for sale in the classifieds that all the proceeds will go to John and his wife Beverly to help as they travel this tough final road of John's life.