Muzzle loader powder

Help Support Ruger Forum:

daveag.

Single-Sixer
I went to Bass Pro this week. They had a small choice of powders. Anyone use Blackhorn? Or is it Buckhorn? A BP substitute. $80 for 8 Oz!!! I also noticed Western Powders are in 12 Oz bottles. No primers to be had.

Rich/WIS

Bearcat
If you need a substitute this is not the answer, but if you use real BP it is available. Not sure if you belong to a group of BP users but if you do try the Maine Powder House and combine an order for 25 pounds and free shipping. Right now they don't expect and GOEX til summer but Swiss was in stock at $30/lb.

noahmercy

Blackhawk
Be aware that some of the substitutes are formulated for inline actions using 209 (shotgun) primers, and won't ignite reliably in a percussion or flintlock firearm. Best bet is to stick with real BP, although I have had excellent results with APP (American Pioneer Powder/ Shockey's Gold) in a .54 cal Lyman Great Plains caplock and a Remington cap & ball pistol. It is a little less energetic than real BP or some of the subs, but it is a pleasure to shoot since it is less corrosive than most and creates some moisture as it burns, which keeps fouling soft and makes long strings possible (as well as making cleanup easier).

We used Bladkhorn in the inline 50 cal with good results. We always did an optic check when arriving at the hunting location. I had no worries about firing the rifle and not cleaning until the end of the hunt.

daveag.

Single-Sixer
77-50's are my rifles. #11 cap and 209 ignition. I've hunted with these 25 years ,,, or so. 300 gr XTP is favorite bullet. Both .430" and .452". 777 , Pyrodex Select is usually what I load. I saw this high priced powder at Bass Pro.