Moving the Ruger Mark II Rear Sight Base?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Danny

Single-Sixer
On Ruger MKII Target Pistol that I got used not too long ago, I have found that I will need to move the rear sight to get a "no wind zero". To center up, the rear leaf is far to one side. I can see that the sight base is off a bit in location. I want to center the leaf in the sight base, then adjust the rear sight base position to come closer to centering up. I know that there is a grub screw holding the sight in position (left side?). If I loosen that sufficiently or take it out, will that allow the sight to slide freely or must I drift it with a hammer and punch? Secondly, I know that there is a certain way that dovetail sights are pounded into the dovetail and then out. Must this be followed in this instance, or can I adjust the sight in both directions, or must I pound it all the way out if the rear sight is beyond centeting up in the normal installation direction? I hope this makes sense.

Danny

I doubt that the base will 'slide freely' so a bit of hammer/punch encouragement will be required. The lock screw often leaves a bit of a burr in the dovetail that will resist free movement. Loosen the (as you call it) 'grub screw' and drift the base to center it.

Danny

Single-Sixer
Thanks for the help. Sometimes it is good to have some information going into a project. I assume that in this case of not intending to remove the sight that it is ok to move it a little in either direction?

Thanks,

Danny

For sight adjustment, you may drift the sight in either direction.

In my experience, dovetailed sights are typically installed from the side on the shooter's right… and should come out that same side, if being removed.

That sight may well be "stubborn." The last one I removed from a MKII (to install a dovetail base for a Burris Fast Fire) was very stubborn.

A pistol "bench block" may be helpful to lay the tubular receiver in, to keep it from rolling around while you're tapping on your brass punch.

If you don't have a bench block, a reasonable facsimile (for this application) can be made by cutting a "V" groove in a chunk of scrap 2x4.

Happy tinkering- if you can drift the base a hair, and (more or less) center the blade in the base, it will likely be more pleasing to the eye! 👍

better yet, a "padded" ( leather strap or old belt?) in a bench vise, and a NON metallic punch , brass or bronze) and drift the sight 'body' back to center, then sight it in from there with the blade also "centered"....too many folks have bad finger control and either push ( short fingers) or pull, ( long fingers) the point of aim left or right, BEFORE you do your final adjustment of the blade itself.......good luck and neatness counts, do NOT beat the crap out of the side of the sight body, and don;;t MISS.......why to use a well padded bench vise....free up your hands, and little or NO "bounce"....:cool:;)

Danny

Single-Sixer
better yet, a "padded" ( leather strap or old belt?) in a bench vise, and a NON metallic punch , brass or bronze) and drift the sight 'body' back to center, then sight it in from there with the blade also "centered"....too many folks have bad finger control and either push ( short fingers) or pull, ( long fingers) the point of aim left or right, BEFORE you do your final adjustment of the blade itself.......good luck and neatness counts, do NOT beat the crap out of the side of the sight body, and don;;t MISS.......why to use a well padded bench vise....free up your hands, and little or NO "bounce"....:cool:;)
I am going to use my optical bore sighter to gauge when the rear sight assembly is centered with the sight leaf centered. I sighted it in with this after buying it, then cut loose at 25 yards. I think I had to make one click of adjustment for it to hit center with a center hold on the bull.

Danny

Latest posts