Mounting a cheap laser pointer

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Taterman

Buckeye
We have an SR9 that my wife shoots in her women's shooting league. She practices by dry firing at home (with an empty mag in) but wanted to use a tiny laser pointer she bought at the dollar to check for movement when she pulls the trigger.
A Crimson Trace is way out of the budget and not needed for this, and I'm hoping to spend nothing as we have many medical bills right now. Does anyway know of a very cheap or better yet free way to attach this to the gun for occasional practice? The laser is about two inches long and only a tiny bit wider than a pencil.

tinman

Buckeye
Taterman said:
We have an SR9 that my wife shoots in her women's shooting league. She practices by dry firing at home (with an empty mag in) but wanted to use a tiny laser pointer she bought at the dollar to check for movement when she pulls the trigger.
A Crimson Trace is way out of the budget and not needed for this, and I'm hoping to spend nothing as we have many medical bills right now. Does anyway know of a very cheap or better yet free way to attach this to the gun for occasional practice? The laser is about two inches long and only a tiny bit wider than a pencil.

Since its just a dry fire accessory why not just try a couple of stout rubber bands holding it alongside the barrel? And in case she has never seen a laser in action, its gonna move every time she pulls the trigger. I have had two in the past. I found them very useful when firing the gun held close into the body which stabilizes it well and pretty much shot right to the dot........not so much held at arms length which had it wandering all over and becoming a distraction. :idea:

Taterman

Buckeye
Thanks tinman. A rubber band as my first thought, but the slide won't work with it on. it has to be mounted independent of the slide I think unless I'm missing something.

roylt

Hunter
Piece of tape if just for dry fire. Tape it to the side of the slide.

Taterman

Buckeye
roylt said:
Piece of tape if just for dry fire. Tape it to the side of the slide.

Unless there's a better option out there, I guess that's what she'll have to do. Thanks.

websterz

Single-Sixer
She doesn't have to fully retract the slide to reset the striker so movement would be minimal. A good piece of duct tape should be plenty.

Taterman

Buckeye
websterz said:
She doesn't have to fully retract the slide to reset the striker so movement would be minimal. A good piece of duct tape should be plenty.

Thanks websterz. I didn't even know it didn't have to be fully retracted, never paid attention too much to it. To be fair, I haven't fired it too much myself.