Most Accurate, 22 cal. revolver or semi-auto?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

buckeyeshooter

Blackhawk
I own a smith and wesson 18 full target and a 41. I like the 18 better and shoot it more but the 41 is way more accurate.

CraigC

Hawkeye
As I said in the other thread, it is not a fair comparison. No revolver, other than Freedom Arms, will be as accurate as a good fixed barrel auto like the Ruger MK-series. A good revolver will do 1 - 1.5"@25yds while a good auto will easily halve that. Some even better. Half is a big difference. It takes a $1500-$2000 revolver to shoot as accurately as a $300 auto. Bummer but true.

jpickar

Blackhawk
I have or have had;
several ruger single sixes, several ruger mark I & II's, several smiths
17's, and 617's, a S&W 41, a Colt woodsman match target 2nd variation, other 22 handguns including bearcats and cheapos.

My most accurate is the Ruger Mk-II comp. target. Never had a 22 shoot like that one does. Smith 17's are next in line. If I had to choose to have only one 22 handgun it would be very hard between my MK-II Comp. Target and my favorite S&W 17. My 17 is a pre 1980 gun when craftsmanship was still used in the assembly process.

John

HenriL

Bearcat
My Ruger Mark III is as accurate or better than any of my rifles. My rifles are fantastic. I have it topped with a 2-7x pistol scope.

HenriL

Darkangel1846

Bearcat
I have found over the years that .22 revolvers just don't seem to be made up to the same standards as other revolvers. My 625 and 686 are tack drivers, can't say the same for the revolvers in .22 and it seems to be across the board. Ruger, colt, S&W, Dan Wesson just don't seem to do it. Now they are adequate for plinking and even hunting small game but not overly accurate when compared to my 22/45. Maybe it's just me but I first noticed this as a teen in the 60's. JMHO

Jayhawkhuntclub

Buckeye
Just back from the range. My Single Six Hunter shot a 0.517" 5 shot group at 50 yards. That is pretty amazing for a revolver. The overall average for 50 yards tonight was 1.29". That's the average of 18 groups. I have a 4x Leupold on it and I wonder if I couldn't tighten them up a tad more if I had some more magnification. In any case, I think some of these revolvers are pretty accurate. :mrgreen:

Olevern

Bearcat
Hi Std Trophy (slightly shades my S&W M41 most days) and for revolver my S&W M17. Semi Auto slight advantage over revolver -but not by much- wouldn't want to bet the farm on it in any individual match.

CraigC

Hawkeye
Jayhawkhuntclub said:
Just back from the range. My Single Six Hunter shot a 0.517" 5 shot group at 50 yards. That is pretty amazing for a revolver. The overall average for 50 yards tonight was 1.29". That's the average of 18 groups. I have a 4x Leupold on it and I wonder if I couldn't tighten them up a tad more if I had some more magnification. In any case, I think some of these revolvers are pretty accurate. :mrgreen:
I think you need to keep that one!!!

Acorn

Buckeye
I'd think that A good quality semi should shoot better than an equally quality revolver. The fixed barrel with integral chamber eliminates any mis-alignment that might occur with a revolver.

ceb

Bearcat
Absolutly the most accurate .22 I've owned was a Ruger MKII Competition target model. That gun was unbelievably accurate. I gave it to my son-in-law for Christmas a few years back.

My current Mk II is a 5 1/2" bull barrel, its also accurate, but not as good as the Competition Target. Still its my choice for squirells. I've shot 1 to 1 1/2" groups at 25yds with it. 'bout the best these 58yr old eyes will do.

My S&W Model 17 is good for 1 1/2 to 2" groups at 25yds.

lfpiii

Blackhawk
Most auto 22s are better than revolvers. That said, the most accurate 22 LR hand gun is the single shot Thompson Center Contender. The gun has been around since the 1960s and with the introduction of match barrels in the 1980s they cannot be touched, even by 3K pistols.

yamalink

Bearcat
The only real-world input I have is my S&W Model 41 with Remington Gold is such a great and accurate shooter that I am unable to replicate the "expertise" with any firearm in my safe.

jpickar

Blackhawk
I will have to be a voice of decention. The T/C contender in my two experiances of ownership left a lot ot be desired.

John